Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

6 Things that shouldn't explode

1. Apr 9, 2010 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What I was thinking about at 1:30 in the morning that caused me to surf to this site is irrelevant. But this is friggin hilarious.

http://www.cracked.com/article_17561_6-things-that-shouldnt-explode-but-did-anyway.html

[profanity warning]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2010 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

That is the most entertaining article I've read in a while. :D

I'd like to add to the list "a glass of water" Look up Microwaves and superheating if you've never heard of that.

4. Apr 9, 2010 #3
    The author is surprisingly adroit on the phenomena and circumstances of exploding frogs. One can only wonder how this occured.

5. Apr 9, 2010 #4

russ_watters

It's all paraphrased from a news article, linked from the link I posted.

6. Apr 9, 2010 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How come none of the articles about the exploding toads ever mention the species?

At least the veterinarian mentioned in most articles is a real expert on amphibians - plus other articles mention that the crows are probably plucking the livers out of the toads while they're preoccupied with having sex (which is why the phenomenon only occurs during mating season). And many species of toads do secrete chemicals on their skin that make them foul tasting to predators, so eating only the livers would make sense.

Yet, all of the articles on this neglect to mention the species.

7. Apr 9, 2010 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The exploding toads seem to have been occurring on a yearly basis since at least the late 60's, except perhaps at not such extreme numbers.

It seems to me that an expert in biology might be interested in either verifying or busting this myth. Except waiting for the event to occur naturally could be very frustrating. However, a biology expert that knows how to use an electrojaculator and with friendly contacts with experts from other career fields could have a obtained an appropriately sized mini-electroejaculator; a biology expert that enjoys working in the light of the moon, could have started out doing field tests to detemine if the myths were even feasible, but then found she enjoyed the experiments so much that she got just a little carried away by her field tests.

Naturally, once she realized the havoc and horror that she wreaked, she would never mention this subject again and possibly even try to squelch any discussion of the subject.

8. Apr 9, 2010 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Related: I recently ran across the story of the Malaysian exploding ants, Camponotus Saundersi, which can intentionally explode and spew poison on an attacker.

9. Apr 9, 2010 #8
    Suicide bombers?

10. Apr 9, 2010 #9
  11. Apr 9, 2010 #10

Evo

This is another great video: Zombie caterpillar

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  12. Apr 9, 2010 #11

:yuck: Why do you keep posting this!

13. Apr 9, 2010 #12
    Some of their stories on that site are bit hard to believe.. including the chair exploding

14. Apr 9, 2010 #13
  15. Apr 9, 2010 #14

Evo

Because you always look. :biggrin:

16. Apr 9, 2010 #15

rhody

Gold Member

I like this, from the same link:
    The seedpods look like great white shark teeth... Gives new meaning to the phrase, "Interfering with Natural Selection"

Rhody...

17. Apr 9, 2010 #16
    does anyone remember this?

18. Apr 9, 2010 #17

cronxeh

Gold Member

That is epic. You should post the videos of parasitic fungus that just grows out of living creatures, if I remember correctly there is a species of fungus for everything out there. Look up the one with the ant. It just grows out of his head!

Your jaw begins to drop midway slowly reading this:

http://boingboing.net/2007/01/03/video-of-fungus-that.html

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  19. Apr 9, 2010 #18

russ_watters

Legendary.

20. Apr 9, 2010 #19

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dang-blasted whales. :tongue:

21. Apr 9, 2010 #20

rhody

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook