Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

6 wisdom teeth 11

1. Aug 30, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6 wisdom teeth!!!11

My brother got dental x-rays today and found out he has 6 wisdom teeth! :eek: He has an extra set on top. I have never heard of such a thing. Has anyone else here had extra wisdom teeth?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2006 #2
    I have known someone with 8 wisdom teeth! O_O

4. Aug 30, 2006 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

YIKES!!!!!!:surprised

5. Aug 30, 2006 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have 4! Woohoo! I didn't have to get them taken out.

I wonder if the pain is relatively the same as taking out 4. I'm sure it can't be that much worse.

6. Aug 30, 2006 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are so lucky. I am getting mine taken out at Christmas. I supposedly only have the standard 4, but since my brother's news I am worried there might be more hiding! They thought I only had three at first, but sneaky #4 finally showed itself on an X-ray. My poor brother. I hope this won't be too rough on him. :frown:

7. Aug 30, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Why do you have to get wisdom teeth taken out anyhow?

8. Aug 30, 2006 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For me, it's because I have "size 10 teeth in a size 8 mouth". There's no room. They are just about coming out of my ears. Another one is impacted and it hurts me like hell sometimes.

9. Aug 30, 2006 #8
  10. Aug 31, 2006 #9
    :bugeye: Oh man thats going to hurt bad. My mom got one of her's takin out and she it hurt really bad. I feel bad for your brother.:frown:

11. Aug 31, 2006 #10
    A FOOL who still has all their wisdom teeth??!!! What were you thinking?!?! This explains all the inappropriate surges of good judgement that have been ruining your life and reputation lately.

You're on probation till Christmas, Missy.

12. Aug 31, 2006 #11
    Big deal I've seen chickens with teeth, so your brothers a freak, my brothers a freak :biggrin:

13. Aug 31, 2006 #12

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Must have shark DNA somewhere in the family

14. Aug 31, 2006 #13

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I had the same condition here, an extra set above the regular wisdom teeth on top. Had them all removed as a child. Main concern during removal was the extra set was very close to bottom of sinus cavity.

15. Aug 31, 2006 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dentists have said that having no wisdom teeth indicates being "farther along the evolutionary path."

So haveing more wisdom teeth means...
    :not-really-serious smiley:

16. Aug 31, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had all four out at once, MIH, and it really wasn't that bad. Everyone had me thinking it would be much worse, but even with two needing to be surgically removed (they hadn't broken through the gums yet, but were definitely impacted), it was a pretty quick recovery. Just don't expect to be gnawing on steak the day they're out.

For your brother though, I'm guessing having to remove two deeper will be considerably worse. I think he'll be eating a lot of soup, jell-o, and ice cream for a week.

17. Aug 31, 2006 #16
    I had all 4 wisdom teeth impacted and the bottom two were facing sideways in my jaw. The roots in them formed hooks way into my jaw. My surgeon had to cut down first, then push the tooth down and twist it to get the sucker out. To top it off, he did this while I was awake! I just got a bazillion shots of novacaine (sp?). He even kept my xrays and wisdom teeth themselves as a "prize". lol. I recovered in about two weeks, but my right cheek was swollen for about a month.:yuck:

18. Aug 31, 2006 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The Spawn of Evo had an entire second set of permanent teeth. They had to cut into the roof of her mouth to extract the second set that hadn't errupted yet. We discovered this when a perfectly healthy permanent tooth was pushed out by another. She still has that tooth, you can't tell it's a third tooth. Definitely a Land Shark. :bugeye:

Why can't we have at least three sets of teeth? Considering how much longer we live on average now.

19. Aug 31, 2006 #18

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps the spawn of Evo is the next evolutionary step. :yikes:

20. Aug 31, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Considering the number of cavities I wind up with (thanks to the British side of my family I suppose :uhh:), I sure could use another set to replace the ones I have. Maybe we'll have to get Spawn and MIH's brother together and let them have lots of babies so we start passing this trait along! :biggrin:

21. Aug 31, 2006 #20

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thats totally britishist! We do not all have rubbish teeth :frown:. Just because we don't subscribe to the bizarre practise of bleaching teeth doesn't mean they're rubbish. So :rasp::wink:

I have a habit of making up new smileys and hoping they exist :biggrin:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?