How do you properly solve the integral ∫(6/(x^2 - 4x -12).dx?

• Thread starter brandy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving the integral 6/(x^2 - 4x -12). It covers using substitution and partial fractions to solve the integral, and suggests taking the derivative of the solution to check for accuracy.
brandy

Homework Statement

∫(6/(x^2 - 4x -12).dx

The Attempt at a Solution

i went
6*∫1/(x^2 - 4x -12)
which i then worked out to be 6*ln(x^2 - 4x -12)/(2x-4) +c
ie 6*ln u / u'
where u=x^2 - 4x -12

im not very good at this. is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No that is not the integral. I imagine you tried making the substitution u= x^2- 4x- 12 so that du= (2x-4). But you cannot just divide by 2x-4 and say that dx= du/(2x-4) because that is a function of x itself- you cannot just move it inside the integral sign as you could a constant. Instead factor x^2- 4x- 12 and use "partial fractions".

i don't really know what you are saying. can you dumb it down a lot more. I am a real dummy :)

my thinking:
6/(x^2 - 4x -12). 6 is a constant so it can be brought to the other side of the integral.
now you have 6*∫1/(x^2 - 4x -12)
i thought that ∫1/(x^2 - 4x -12) is ln (x^2 - 4x -12)/(2x-4)
i take it this is where I am wrong?
can you explain better?

Using your substitution you would get the following integral:

[tex]
6 \int \frac{1}{2x-4} \frac{du}{u}
[/tex]

You then seem to treat the [tex] \frac{1}{2x-4} [/tex] term as a constant and you put it in front of the integral and integrate with respect to u. The mistake you make here is that x itself depends on u, so x is not a constant with respect to u. So before you integrate you have to rewrite the fraction in terms of u. As a result you can't take the fraction out of the integral.

As Ivy suggested you want to factor the denominator and then write the integrand as [tex]\frac{A}{x+a}+\frac{B}{x+b}[/tex]. You should be able to determine the constants A,B,a and b and then solve the integral.

On a different note if you're unsure whether or not you did the integration correctly, it is a good habit to take the derivative of your answer and see if it equals the integrand. If it doesn't you know you have made a mistake.

Last edited:

1. What does the symbol "∫" mean in this equation?

The symbol "∫" represents the integral sign, which is used in calculus to denote the process of finding the area under a curve.

2. How do you solve this integral?

This integral can be solved using the method of partial fractions, which involves breaking the fraction into simpler parts and integrating each part separately.

3. Can this integral be solved using basic integration rules?

No, this integral cannot be solved using basic integration rules. It requires the use of more advanced techniques like partial fractions or substitution.

4. What is the significance of the "dx" in the integral?

The "dx" in the integral represents the variable of integration, which is typically written as the denominator of the fraction being integrated. In this case, it represents the variable "x".

5. Is there a specific method for determining the limits of integration?

In this integral, the limits of integration would depend on the context of the problem being solved. They could be determined by the given boundaries of the curve or by setting the integral equal to a definite value.