6 years inbetween undergrad and grad school?

In summary, the individual is considering the Navy's NUPOC program as a potential job prospect after graduating with a degree in mechanical engineering and mathematics. The program entails a 6-year obligation, with one year spent in a classroom and the rest on a submarine as a plant operator/overseer. After completing the program, their concerns lie in their chances of getting into graduate school after being out of school for a long period of time. They are also interested in pursuing a Master's in Engineering with a focus on fusion. However, they are worried about remembering everything after being away from academics for such a long time. Other individuals offer their opinions and suggest considering programs with project-based learning, internships, and networking opportunities to stay connected and
anonymity
Hello,

I am a mechanical engineering and mathematics undergraduate, and am looking at the Navy's NUPOC (nuclear propulsion officer candidate) program as a potential right-out-of-college job prospect (well, technically, while in college, but for all practical purposes, it starts after I graduate).

This program entails a 6 year obligation, during which I would spend one year in a classroom learning the fundamentals of the navy's nuclear propulsion, and the rest would be spent on a submarine as a plant operator/overseer.

My concerns, however, start after this six years has passed. I don't want to spend my whole life in the navy (or at least I don't think that I do), and expect that after the navy graduate school could be a likely prospect. I was hoping to gather your guys' opinions on attending grad school after being out of school for such a long period of time.

Will this amount of time hurt my chances of getting in? I imagine that any negative factor that the time may have could likely be mitigated by the fact that I was a) serving in the military b) serving in a technical field and c) serving in a field related to what i would be going to grad school for.

My real concern, honestly, is simply that I won't remember anything =O

Feel free to answer questions which I did not ask. Anything that any of you feel you could add.

Thanks
--anonymous

edit: i forgot to mention that my true interest lies in fusion, and that I would likely start off with the goal of a masters of engineering and see where it takes me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your question. While there may be a concern that you won't remember certain topics after such a long period of time, you may be surprised at how quickly you can refresh and pick up relevant topics in the field of engineering and mathematics. You may even find that your experience in the navy provides you with an advantage when it comes to graduate school. For example, you may have learned about systems engineering, which is highly applicable to many engineering disciplines. Additionally, the technical skills and problem solving abilities you developed while in the navy could give you an edge. It's also important to consider what type of program you are looking to pursue. If you are interested in a Master's of Engineering program, you may want to look into programs which offer an emphasis on project-based learning, as this can help you apply the knowledge you have acquired over the years directly to real world problems. You could also consider programs which provide internships or research opportunities so you can gain practical experience and stay up-to-date on the latest developments in the field. Finally, be sure to make the most of any resources available to you. Research fellowships, professional organizations, and alumni networks are all great ways to stay connected and make sure you are taking full advantage of your educational opportunities. Good luck with your pursuits!

1. What are the benefits of taking 6 years off before pursuing graduate school?

Taking time off before graduate school can have several benefits. It allows you to gain real-world experience, build a professional network, and save money. Additionally, it gives you time to reflect on your interests and goals, and potentially discover new passions that may influence your graduate studies.

2. Will taking 6 years off hurt my chances of being accepted into graduate school?

No, taking time off before graduate school will not necessarily hurt your chances of being accepted. Admissions committees often value diverse experiences and perspectives, and your time off may make you a more well-rounded candidate. However, it is important to use this time wisely and continue to engage in activities related to your field of study to show your continued interest and dedication.

3. How can I explain the 6-year gap in my application?

Be honest and transparent in your application about why you took time off. Use this as an opportunity to showcase the experiences and skills you gained during your time off, and how they have prepared you for graduate studies. You can also provide a brief explanation in your personal statement or ask your recommenders to address the gap in their letters of recommendation.

4. Will my undergraduate degree still be relevant after 6 years?

The relevance of your undergraduate degree will depend on your field of study and the specific program you are applying to. However, it is important to stay updated on any developments or changes in your field during your time off. You can do this by attending conferences, networking with professionals, and reading relevant publications.

5. How can I make the most out of my time off before graduate school?

There are many ways to make the most out of your time off before graduate school. You can gain work experience in your field, volunteer or intern at organizations related to your interests, take relevant courses or workshops, and travel to gain new perspectives. It is also important to take care of your physical and mental well-being, as graduate school can be demanding. Use this time to build a strong foundation for your future academic and professional pursuits.