Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

600 horsepower factory Vette

1. Aug 19, 2005 #1
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=12&article_id=2601&page_number=3

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That would work. *runs and checks piggy bank*

4. Aug 19, 2005 #3
    I still much prefer this 605HP beast: THE PORSCHE CARRERA GT!

*drools all over keyboard*

5. Aug 19, 2005 #4
    "0-60 mph 3.8 secs." The current 505hp Z06 does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. Here's why the Vette is faster:

"Maximum torque 435 lb-ft @ 5,750 rpm."

The Carreera GT has a weak engine.

6. Aug 19, 2005 #5
    Since when is 0-60 times the only thing that makes one car "faster" than another?

7. Aug 19, 2005 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

cars suck

If I wanted speed I'd get Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo:

0-60 : 1.592 seconds
    1/4 Mile ET: 9.894
    1/4 Mile MPH: 140.530
    Top speed: 236 mph

Basically all you gonna see behind your $100k crap-mobile is my (_._) on a $10k bike :biggrin:
    Done

8. Aug 19, 2005 #7
    Cars are safer, cronxeh. Do you own a motorcycle? Neither do I, and I wouldn't unless I was desperate.

9. Aug 19, 2005 #8
    Thats fine if you don't care about aesthetics or handling...IMO the Hyabouse is a very ugly bike :yuck:

10. Aug 19, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't worry, once he gets his license to work as an EMT and starts seeing the outcome of motorcycle accidents, he'll lose that enthusiasm.

11. Aug 19, 2005 #10
  12. Aug 19, 2005 #11
    heh, I've been working at a GM dealership during the summer and no one wants to admit that the new vette looks suspiciously like a viper. Maybe its me or does anyone else see that floopy clown shoe look or maybe it's just me?

13. Aug 19, 2005 #12
    The Carrera is a sexy sexy car. A powerful vette is still a vette and that ain't good.

14. Aug 19, 2005 #13
    iii.org/media/hottopics/insurance/motorcycle/?table_sort_739024=5

Motorcycle Crashes

• In 2004, 4,008 people died in motorcycle crashes.

• There were 5.4 million motorcycles on U.S. roads in 2003, compared with 131.1 million passenger cars.

• In 2003, motorcycles accounted for 2.3 percent of all registered motor vehicles and 0.3 percent of vehicle miles traveled.

• Some 81,000 motorcycles were involved in crashes in 2003.

• Motorcyclists were 32 times as likely as passenger car occupants to die in a crash in 2003, per vehicle mile traveled.

15. Aug 19, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

16. Aug 19, 2005 #15

cronxeh

Gold Member

I've seen a 45 year old male run a redlight on his motorcycle at 120 mph and he got hit by traffic.

His lung collapsed, multiple internal organ damage, etc. The EMTs brought him into ER and the surgeons on staff quickly intubated him, made cuts and inserted tubes to drain blood from lungs and then recycled them right back into him in addition to some additional blood supply. He got x-rayed, had a tube inserted into his penis and surgeons sutured his torn anus. Afterwards they did a cut right under his umbilicus and operated I'm not sure on what but perhaps on the bladder - or inserted a catheter. Not really sure it looked like 12 surgeons were humping the guy.. but really everyone did a great job in OR and were all over him - his airway was taken over, he was on EKG, IV central line, the whole shebang

He was lucky he lived in NYC where you are 5 minutes from a neareast hospital, otherwise this guy woulda been a goner. I agree that motorcycles are dangerous, and I still somewhat envy the idea of owning and driving one someday. I'm not big into racing, so perhaps my probability of getting into a trauma is a bit less. I guess it all boils down to luck or fate or whatever, or just an optimal combination of rural, free open roads, vs congested big cities with lots of hospitals

Or perhaps even your skills as a driver

EDIT: Oh forgot to mention. The security guard with a janitor was making some kind of a remark about how dangerous it is to drive motorcycles and guy musta been crazy or something, when the surgical resident who was standing near said "hey, I'm driving a motorcycle myself!" :biggrin:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  17. Aug 19, 2005 #16

cronxeh

Gold Member

Hey its still a better way to go than compared to cancer or suicide or murder. I'd take motorcycle trauma way out anyday over some gunshot wound or a debilitating illness :approve:

18. Aug 19, 2005 #17

Stingray

Science Advisor

Oh geez. I figured I wouldn't have to hear things like this on a site devoted to physics. Comparing peak torques (or torque/weight) of different cars is completely useless. It doesn't mean anything without considerably more data.

Both of these cars can spin their tires most of the way to 60 mph anyway, which means that 0-60 is basically a measure of tires and driver skill. Chevy also tends to be much more optimistic in its ratings than Porsche, and the Vette also gets helped by the fact that it can stay in 1st gear to 60 mph. The Porsche would leave it for dead in any real race (as it should for the price).

19. Aug 20, 2005 #18
    i wonder if that's supposed to be competition for the new charger that's coming out. whatever happens, now that dodge is remaking the charger, ford should remake the boss mustangs. not that i'm really a ford nut (kind of) but it would be cool to see the old rivalries. i'd still rather have me a caterham 7 csr (powered by ford, incidentally) or a superlight r500. they both have only ~250hp but only weigh ~450kg & do 0-100km/h in a hair over 3 sec.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  20. Aug 20, 2005 #19
    Dodge is coming out with a ~600 hp, ~$100,000 Charger that pulls ~1.04g on the skid pad?

21. Aug 20, 2005 #20
    I`m with Rocketboy The Porche rules, European cars are far more advanced that anything that`s come out of america, Yes the Corvette has great muscle car styling and can probably tear a huge hole in the tarmac but when it comes to going around corners fast and developing a whole lota power from a small engine Europe wins out every time.

check out these times and note where the fastest americal built car is ...

www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/

personally I love TVR`s Powerfull, sexy and for performance/cost nothing beats them!

www.tvr-eng.co.uk/intro.html#35ext5

Now bikes, yes i own a bike and my god you can`t beat the feeling of riding them but they are just toy`s and can go around corners very fast due to the fact they only have two wheels!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?