Do You Have Any Stories or Artifacts from the Early Days of Lasers in the 1960s?

• Thread starter BobH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, during the early days of lasers, there were many hand-built instruments, and then on-the-shelf products starting to come out in many colors.
BobH
I'm interested in hearing stories about the very early days of lasers. This is easily one of the top few inventions of the last century, and it's turning 50 next year. I'm particularly interested in the first half of the decade, from handbuilt instruments in labs to on-the-shelf product in many colors and for many applications.

Please contact me, or share your story here about your experiences with lasers from those years. I'm also looking for old lasers of that vintage. Particularly lasers made by Hughes Aircraft Company, Raytheon, Trion, Lear Siegler, Maser Optics, Optics Technology, American Optical, Perkin Elmer, or Spectra-Physics. Also the old gravity bases and Ealing triangular rail carriers and components from the time before metal optical tables.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's funny you mention this. A friend and I were discussing a CO2 pulsed laser that Ti developed for early range finding. It was a crude monster - used an EG&G triggered spark gap as the switch, and ate pulse capacitors for lunch. He was telling me how the crew like to put styrofoam cups in front of it and let it pop little holes.

BobH said:
I'm interested in hearing stories about the very early days of lasers. This is easily one of the top few inventions of the last century, and it's turning 50 next year. I'm particularly interested in the first half of the decade, from handbuilt instruments in labs to on-the-shelf product in many colors and for many applications.

Please contact me, or share your story here about your experiences with lasers from those years. I'm also looking for old lasers of that vintage. Particularly lasers made by Hughes Aircraft Company, Raytheon, Trion, Lear Siegler, Maser Optics, Optics Technology, American Optical, Perkin Elmer, or Spectra-Physics. Also the old gravity bases and Ealing triangular rail carriers and components from the time before metal optical tables.

Welcome to the PF. Fun subject. Are you an author? Or maybe a collector?

I'm putting together a display to honour the laser, for its 50th birthday. I'd like to include as many of the very earliest lasers I can find. A few articles will come out of it eventually, and then I'll be looking for a permanent home for those I gather together (and their related ephemera).

I should've mentioned that I'm also looking for old magazines, books or marketing materials about lasers, also from the '60s.

Thanks!

1. What is a '60s laser experience?

A '60s laser experience refers to a type of laser show or display that was popular during the 1960s. These experiences often involved psychedelic colors and patterns projected onto walls or surfaces using lasers. It was a popular form of entertainment during the counterculture movement of the '60s.

2. How were these laser experiences created?

During the '60s, lasers were still a relatively new technology and were not widely available. Most '60s laser experiences were created using specially designed projectors that used mirrors to reflect the laser beams onto surfaces. The projectors were controlled by operators who manually directed the beams to create different patterns and effects.

3. Were there any safety concerns with '60s laser experiences?

Yes, there were some safety concerns with '60s laser experiences. The lasers used in these shows were not as advanced as modern lasers and could potentially cause eye damage if viewed for extended periods. Additionally, the operators had to be careful not to direct the beams at the audience or other people in the room.

4. Are '60s laser experiences still popular today?

While they may not be as popular as they were in the '60s, there are still some '60s laser experiences that are recreated or referenced in modern times. Some museums or music venues may have exhibitions or shows that pay homage to the '60s laser experience, and some artists still use lasers in their performances.

5. How did '60s laser experiences impact the development of laser technology?

The popularity of '60s laser experiences helped to advance the development of laser technology. It sparked interest and innovation in the use of lasers for entertainment purposes and led to the creation of more sophisticated laser technology. Today, lasers are used in a variety of industries, from medicine to communication, and are an essential part of modern technology.