7.2.15 Int of trig in a radical

In summary: This can be seen from the trigonometric identity: cos(x+iy) = cos(x) cos(y) + i sin(y) cos(x-iy) = cos(x) sin(y) - i sin(y)Which is equivalent to: cos(x+iy) = cos(x) + i sin(y)cos(x-iy) = cos(x) - i sin(y)
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Evaluate the integral
$I_4=\displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\sqrt{\frac{1+\cos{x}}{2}} \, dx $

ok offhand i think what is in the radical is trig identity
but might be better way...

Physics news on Phys.org
note …

$\cos^2{t} = \dfrac{1+\cos(2t)}{2}$

also, $\sqrt{\cos^2{t}} = |\cos{t}|$

Last edited by a moderator:
skeeter said:
note …

$\cos^2{t} = \dfrac{1+\cos(2t)}{2}$

also, $\sqrt{\cos^2{t}} = |\cos{t}|$
$I=\displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} |\cos{t}| dt$
Ok I would assume the abs would mean the splitting of the int into 2 int of + and -

karush said:
$I=\displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} |\cos{t}| dt$
Ok I would assume the abs would mean the splitting of the int into 2 int of + and -
Right. So on what intervals is cos(t) positive and negative on \(\displaystyle ( -\pi , \pi ]\)?

-Dan

topsquark said:
Right. So on what intervals is cos(t) positive and negative on \(\displaystyle ( -\pi , \pi ]\)?

-Dan
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/w4iav0jfj1trom are the desmos $[-\pi, 0]$ is - and $[0,\pi]$ is +

$\displaystyle \int_{-\pi}^\pi \sqrt{\dfrac{1+\cos{x}}{2}} \, dx$

$x = 2t \implies dx = 2 \, dt$

$2 \displaystyle \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} |\cos{t}| \, dt = 4 \int_0^{\pi/2} \cos{t} \, dt$

skeeter said:
$\displaystyle \int_{-\pi}^\pi \sqrt{\dfrac{1+\cos{x}}{2}} \, dx$

$x = 2t \implies dx = 2 \, dt$

$2 \displaystyle \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} |\cos{t}| \, dt = 4 \int_0^{\pi/2} \cos{t} \, dt$
$ \displaystyle4 \int_0^{\pi/2} \cos{t} \, dt = 4\Biggr[ \sin{t} \Biggr]_0^{\pi/2} =4[1-0]=4$

ok I didn't understand how this last step made the abs disappear?

W|A

karush said:

$ \displaystyle4 \int_0^{\pi/2} \cos{t} \, dt = 4\Biggr[ \sin{t} \Biggr]_0^{\pi/2} =4[1-0]=4$

ok I didn't understand how this last step made the abs disappear?

W|A
cos(t) is negative on \(\displaystyle \left [ -\pi, -\dfrac{ \pi }{2} \right ]\) and \(\displaystyle \left [ \dfrac{ \pi }{2}, \pi \right ]\). There are 4 intervals which have the same value and are all the same as the integral from 0 to \(\displaystyle \pi / 2\).

-Dan

Mahalo
spicy problem 🤔

karush said:
Evaluate the integral
$I_4=\displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\sqrt{\frac{1+\cos{x}}{2}} \, dx $

ok offhand i think what is in the radical is trig identity
but might be better way...

It might be worth noting that the integrand is an even function...

1. What is the purpose of using a radical in trigonometry?

The radical symbol (√) is used in trigonometry to represent the square root of a number. This allows us to solve for unknown values in trigonometric equations and to simplify expressions.

2. How do I find the exact value of a trigonometric function with a radical?

To find the exact value of a trigonometric function with a radical, we can use special right triangles or trigonometric identities to simplify the expression. We can also use a calculator to approximate the value if needed.

3. Can a radical be simplified in trigonometry?

Yes, radicals can be simplified in trigonometry using various techniques such as factoring, rationalizing the denominator, and using trigonometric identities. Simplifying radicals can make solving trigonometric equations and expressions easier.

4. How do I solve a trigonometric equation with a radical on one side?

To solve a trigonometric equation with a radical on one side, we can use algebraic techniques to isolate the radical and then square both sides to eliminate the radical. However, we must always check our solutions as squaring can introduce extraneous solutions.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when working with radicals in trigonometry?

One common mistake to avoid when working with radicals in trigonometry is forgetting to simplify the radical before solving an equation or expression. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions after squaring both sides of an equation to eliminate a radical. Additionally, always make sure to use the correct sign for the radical when finding the exact value of a trigonometric function.