Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

7.6 magnitude earthquake early this morning in Pakistan

1. Oct 8, 2005 #1
    There was a 7.6 magnitude earthquake early this morning in Pakistan. I was getting ready to sleep, around 9 am, when it hit Lahore...See, we were sleeping in the common room which has AC (our individual rooms don't have AC)...It was me, my roomie, and 3 other people sleeping there. We were sleeping on mattresses put on the ground, and I had put my mattress right next to my roomie's. All of a sudden, it seems like the bed is shaking cause my roomie is shaking his leg. Then I think, "Wait, I'm not on a bed!" And I jolt upright confused, at first think I think maybe I'm dizzy. Then I see that the whole room is moving to and fro...like swaying in a light breeze, about 2 or 3 inches. By that time my roomie and the other guys sleeping there had also woken up. And my roomie was sort of confused, and I told him, "Dude, it's an earthquake." Anyways, it wasn't very severe in Lahore, and we all fell back to sleep afterwards. There were a couple of minor aftershocks as well. My roomie, being the best pervert of the world :devil: (he just told me to type this), told me just as the quake ended that he thought that I had thought that everyone had fallen asleep, and had taken advantage of the fact and [bad advice from your roommate: text deleted ~ Moonbear]! :rofl: :surprised The earthquake's epicenter was 80 km northeast of Islamabad (that's 50 miles). A ten story apartment building collapsed there and only the top 3-stories remained intact. :cry: In Peshawar, which is very near the Afghanistan border, and where my family lives, there were more than 9 strong aftershocks, and people died there too (thankfully my family is OK, my mom made everyone run out of the house as soon as it hit...but nothing happened to the house either). My dad's gone to Japan for a week for a medical conference, so he wasn't there...but he just emailed me asking if I was alright. I found out all this after I woke up (a few min back)...over a thousand people dead in Pakistan, and entire villages have been wiped from existence in Kashmir and the Northern Areas. It's the biggest earthquake ever in the history of Pakistan :cry: Please pray for the people affected...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2005 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I'm glad you and your family are ok. How close were you to the epicenter?

Such tragic loss :(

4. Oct 8, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I only caught a brief story of this on the news this morning (I had only just woken up when the story was on...it might not have been a brief story, but I only saw part of it).

Good to hear you and your family are safe and unharmed. It's sad to hear of more lives so tragically lost this year. Mother nature sure has had a bad temper this year. My thoughts go out to those who have lost people close to them in this.

5. Oct 8, 2005 #4
    I was more than 400 km away from the epicenter.

6. Oct 8, 2005 #5

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Wow, I didn't realise that degree of shaking could be felt so far from the epicener. I think they did say something on the news about it being a very widespread quake.

7. Oct 8, 2005 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

what was deleted?

NEway. sorry to hear about that :frown:

8. Oct 8, 2005 #7

matthyaouw

Gold Member

If it was too inappropriate then, chances are it still is now.

9. Oct 8, 2005 #8
    about the deleted text...ah well better to leave that out then :wink: nothing related to the earthquake yomamma, just a funny incident, but not appropriate for the young ones

10. Oct 8, 2005 #9
    That was a giant of a quake. Sorry to hear so many have been lost to it. The after-shocks may go on for days.

11. Oct 8, 2005 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Massive earth quake

Just came over the news, in India.

12. Oct 8, 2005 #11

wolram

Gold Member

BBC says 1000s killed

As if the world needed another disaster.

13. Oct 8, 2005 #12
    I felt the quake...my cuz lost 2 of her friends and another friend lost her parents

14. Oct 8, 2005 #13

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

About 22 tremors have occured in that area in the last 18 hrs, including the big one of 7.6 Mag (0350 UTC) and another at 6.2 Mag (1046 UTC). Most after shocks have been beteen Mag 5-6.

Several thousand may have been killed according to various news sources. :frown:

Cerafix, I am glad you and your friends are OK. How is the rest of your family?

15. Oct 8, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Such news feels more "real" when you find out you know someone so personally affected by it. How old is your friend who lost her parents? Aside from the grief (which is of course no small thing) will she be okay on her own? I hope she has a good network of friends and family who can offer her the comfort she'll need. Losing one's parents while still young is really tough. I always feel worst for the young people who have their innocence about life ripped away and have to grow up far too soon in the wake of tragedy.

16. Oct 8, 2005 #15
    it wasnt my friend...my cuzs friend. i will talk to my cuz in detail today about it if i get a chance :(

17. Oct 8, 2005 #16
    Yahoo is saying 18,000 dead, that is terrible!

18. Oct 9, 2005 #17

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I heard over 30,000 now.

19. Oct 9, 2005 #18
    The AP reports are just so sad, it may be weeks until they can get to some of the villages, and medical help will be spotty, at best. Many countries are sending help, but are having a hard time finding good landing/staging areas.

20. Oct 9, 2005 #19
    Oh Cefarix. This event is awful. I am so glad your family is OK. I am in shock at the death toll.

21. Oct 9, 2005 #20
    I am so, so teriibly sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?