What Caused the 1959 Explosion in Roseburg, Oregon?

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
In summary: I remember seeing them around town years ago - they were pretty strange looking.In summary, a truckload of explosives blew up in a building supply near Roseburg, Oregon in 1973, resulting in 14 deaths and 125 injuries.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbFzdyrSg44"

I was 9yrs old sleeping out with my best friend. At 1am we were woke up by an explosion 3miles away in downtown Roseburg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fifty years ago!

Wow, you're old.

Wow! 6.5 tons of explosives parked in a down-town area overnight? Pretty reckless.

Most of the 500 pounders shipped to Vietnam passed right through downtown Tucson.

No one knew that the Southern Pacific railroad was transporting them until an accident outside of town caused a number of them to explode.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=886&dat=19730525&id=rCUMAAAAIBAJ&sjid=v1ADAAAAIBAJ&pg=6744,816595

Edited

http://myblogadventures.blogspot.com/2005/10/roseburg-blast-of-1959-highlighted-in.html"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseburg,_Oregon"
Gerretsen Building Supply was near the railroad tracks. The area of town totally destroyed was mostly old warehouses. Were it not for the dead and injured, some felt this was one of the best things that ever happened to Roseburg. We got a new bridge and roads plus a much cleaned up area of town.

We also lost the old Jr Hi school that my mom attended.

There is a ridge about 250m high relative to town that was between our house and the explosion. We could see flames over the ridge. That morning we has no idea what had happened, my friend theorized about a plane crash, others though we were under attack.

During the late 60's, and particularly during the early 1970's, there were a series of serious railroad accidents (derailments) involving hazardous chemicals, like vinyl chloride, and volative hydrocarbons.

Here's one example - http://www.lib.niu.edu/2004/ih090804.html

In Texas and Lousiana, there were several derailments resulting in the destruction of a lot of property and numerous fatalities.

I remember one just south of Houston at the Mykawa Yard. A local news station was filming a firefighter on a ladder that was raised over a line of freightcars so the fireman could spray water on the tankcars which were burning. Then there was a tremendous blast - and a fireball engulfed the firefighter on the ladder. He was killed. He had no protection.

That was one of several incidents where the chemicals could not be identified because they only used placards on the cars. That didn't help when they were on fire.

As a result laws regarding the transport of hazardous material were changed, and there was a national registry and hotline for hazardous material. In addition, coupler hardware on tankcars was changed to an interlocking type such that one car could not jump and puncture a tankcar carry hazardous cargo.

The grandfather of all Ammonium Nitrate explosions was http://www.local1259iaff.org/disaster.html" in 1947. A ship load went up.

Wow, impressive...a video on YouTube where the person filming actually knows how to hold a camera steady, slowly pan, and then hold steady again so you can actually tell what's in the footage without getting motion sick!

Oh, and pretty impressive footage of the aftermath too...not that I know anything about this event...what caused the explosion?

Moonbear said:
Wow, impressive...a video on YouTube where the person filming actually knows how to hold a camera steady, slowly pan, and then hold steady again so you can actually tell what's in the footage without getting motion sick!

Oh, and pretty impressive footage of the aftermath too...not that I know anything about this event...what caused the explosion?

A truck load of explosives was parked outside of a building supply for the next morning delivery. A trash fire started in the building supply that got to the truck. The resulting explosion resulted in 14 deaths and 125 injuries. I believe that the only part of the truck found was the front axle wrapped around a tree 6 blocks from the explosion. To the best of my knowledge it is still there.

Aren't the cars in that video a hoot!

1. What significant event happened on August 7, 1959 in Roseburg, Oregon?

On August 7, 1959, a massive wildfire known as the "Canyon Creek Complex Fire" broke out in the Umpqua National Forest near Roseburg, Oregon. This fire burned over 20,000 acres of land and caused widespread damage to the surrounding area.

2. How did the 1959 wildfire in Roseburg, Oregon start?

The exact cause of the Canyon Creek Complex Fire is unknown. However, it is believed to have started from a lightning strike in the forest.

3. What impact did the 1959 Roseburg wildfire have on the local community?

The wildfire caused significant damage to the local community, destroying homes, businesses, and natural resources. It also resulted in the evacuation of over 1,000 people and caused several injuries. The aftermath of the fire also had a long-term economic impact on the community.

4. Has there been any other major wildfire in Roseburg, Oregon since 1959?

Yes, there have been several major wildfires in the Roseburg area since 1959. Some notable ones include the 1987 Silver Complex Fire, which burned over 100,000 acres, and the 2015 Stouts Creek Fire, which burned over 26,000 acres and caused the evacuation of several nearby towns.

5. What measures have been taken to prevent and manage wildfires in Roseburg, Oregon after the 1959 event?

After the 1959 wildfire, there have been significant efforts to prevent and manage wildfires in the Roseburg area. These include implementing fire prevention strategies, conducting controlled burns, and investing in better firefighting technology. The local government also works closely with the U.S. Forest Service to monitor and manage potential wildfire risks in the area.