Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

7 minute video about ghosts

1. Jan 10, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obviously we don't know anything about the credibility of these videos and pictures. This is just for your entertainment folks.

Requires flash:
    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/ghosts.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2004 #2
    A lot of the pictures were just examples of apophenia. A few looked like double exposures to me (although I'm not a photographic expert).

None of the pictures were particularly impressive. Still, it was almost amusing.

4. Jan 10, 2004 #3
    master_coda,

I must bow to you or introducing me to the word "apophenia". Recently, I needed this word badly but did not know it existed. I have been trying to explain this phenomenon to people by explaining the effect discovered by Russian filmmaker, Eisenstein, who found that if he showed someone photographs of two unrelated people at the same time, they would assume a connection and speculate as to what it was.

Here is a detailed discussion of apophenia I found in The Skeptic's Dictionary:

apophenia
    Address:http://skepdic.com/apophenia.html

5. Jan 10, 2004 #4
    Interestingly enough, I learned that word from reading that website.

6. Jan 11, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What would be impressive? What does a ghost actually look like?

I would say that some look like examples of apophenia and many could have been double exposures. Since I don't know what a ghost might look like, its a little hard to judge.

Again, what would be impressive?

7. Jan 11, 2004 #6
    Good point...there isn't really anything that a flash video posted on the Net could have done that would have been impressive.

Still, I was hoping for something that wasn't filled with such obvious fakes.

8. Jan 11, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, unfortunately there are obviously many hoaxes attached to nearly any fringe subject. Still, this is what annoys me if trying to evaluate anything like a photograph or video as such: If I did see a real ghost I would have no way to know.

9. Jan 11, 2004 #8
    What happened to the good old ectoplasm test? If it looks like cotton, feels like cotton, and photographs like cotton, it's ectoplasm.

10. Jan 11, 2004 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ecto what?

Have you been chanting and playing your drums again?

11. Jan 11, 2004 #10
    Isn't that the green goopy stuff in Ghostbusters?

12. Jan 11, 2004 #11
    That's the new version. In the 1880s when they first discovered it was possible to photograph ectoplasm, it bore a strong resemblence to unspun cotton wool. For some reason.

13. Jan 11, 2004 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think there was some kind of gooey stuff used as well. I remember one photo that shows a big stream of liquid ectoplasm coming out of this guy’s [maybe a woman’s] nose. It looked very viscous and was really quite disgusting. In Ghost Busters, Bill Murray got “slimed” by green ectoplasm.

14. Jan 11, 2004 #13
  15. Jan 11, 2004 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd say that looks like cotton. I would imagine the one I'm thinking of used whipped cream or something similar.

16. Jan 11, 2004 #15
    Simple. Take a large white bedsheet, cut two eyeholes in them, then go roaming the neighborhood mugging them of their candy.

17. Jan 12, 2004 #16
    So, what's ectoplasm supposed to be? And what does it coming out of that guy's nose represent? Looks rather unpleasant...

18. Jan 12, 2004 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A little googling...

http://skepdic.com/ectoplasm.html

http://inin.essortment.com/whatisectoplas_rkki.htm

Personally, although I do have reason to seriously consider ghost phenomena, I have little to no reason to consider the existence of ectoplasm.

19. Jan 13, 2004 #18
    Astral mucous. Who needs it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?