Mastering Equilibrium: Vectors, Torques, and Balancing - Pre-Lab Questions

• Thread starter slydg895
  • Start date
In summary, the condition ∑ Fi = 0 is not enough to guarantee equilibrium in a rigid body. The quantity that expresses the force's ability to create angular acceleration is called angular momentum. Clockwise torques are taken as negative and counterclockwise torques are taken as positive. The lever arm of F is -0.599 meters when measured from point O with an angle of 42 degrees and a distance of 1.5 meters. The net torque due to three weights in the given situation is -0.098 N⋅m. The apparatus described in Question 5 is not in equilibrium. To balance a 0.17 kg mass placed at 31 cm from the left end of a meter stick,
slydg895

Homework Statement

The condition ∑ Fi = 0 is not sufficient to assure that a rigid body is in equilibrium.

TrueFalse

2.A quantity that expresses how a force can create an angular acceleration is called

a. moment of inertia
b. angular influence
c. angular energy
d. angular momentum
e. torque

According to the lab manual, clockwise torques are taken as Fill in the Blank 01 (positive or negative) and counterclockwise torques are taken as Fill in the Blank 02 (positive or negative).

Calculate the lever arm of F as measured from the point O. The angle is θ = 42o and the distance r = 1.5 m. Express the answer in meters.

Lever Arm.bmp
Answer
Save Answer

5.Given the situation in the figure below. The mass m1 is 0.55 kg and it is located at x1 = 30 cm. The pivot point is represented by the solid triangle located at x = 45 cm. The mass of the meter stick (mms = 0.40 kg) is located at its geometric center, xms = 50 cm. The mass m2 is 0.35 kg and it is located at x2 = 80 cm. Calculate the net torque (in N⋅m with the proper sign) due to these three weights. Use g = 9.8 m/s2.

Torque Figure.bmp

6. The apparatus described in Question 5 is in equilibrium.

TrueFalse

7.Suppose that a meter stick is balanced at its center. A 0.17-kg is positioned at 31 cm from the left end of the meter stick. Where should a 0.26 kg mass be placed to balance the 0.17 kg mass? Express your answer in terms of the position (in cm) of the 0.26-kg mass as measured from the left end of the meter stick.

BalancedStick.bmp

Homework Equations

Hey guys my proffesor gave us some questions he reccomended to attempt doing before tommorow's lab. I have finished them but we do not have answers so i was wondering if you guys could tell me if i was doing anything wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are my answers:
1.False
2.Angular momemtum
3.positive(counterclockwise) and negative (clockwise) used right hand rule
4. I got -.599 by using rcos(theta) --i really don't know how to do this one
5.-.098 using T=Fr
6.False
7.63cm
Any help appreciated thanks a lot guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Why?
2. Don't think that's right

1. Beacuse don't the sum of the torques have to be zero?
2. Oh its torque isn't it?
are the others ok?

slydg895 said:
1. Beacuse don't the sum of the torques have to be zero?

You have the right answer to my "Why?" question. Do you have the right answer to their question? Watch out for negatives like "not" and "never" in questions...

slydg895 said:
are the others ok?

The only other one I checked was #7, and at first glance it doesn't look right. Aren't they asking where to place a larger mass to balance out the first one? If the 2nd mass is larger, and you want the sum of the torques to be zero, do you place the heavier mass farther out or closer in?

Does anyone else know if my other answers are correct?

1. What is the purpose of completing pre-lab questions?

The purpose of completing pre-lab questions is to prepare for the laboratory experiment by reviewing key concepts and theories, identifying potential challenges or sources of error, and developing a hypothesis or plan for the experiment.

2. How many pre-lab questions are typically assigned?

The number of pre-lab questions assigned may vary depending on the experiment and the instructor's preferences. However, it is common to have around 5-10 questions per experiment.

3. Do I need to answer the pre-lab questions before coming to class?

Yes, it is important to answer the pre-lab questions before coming to class. This will allow you to actively participate in the experiment and have a better understanding of the concepts being tested.

4. What should I do if I don't understand a pre-lab question?

If you do not understand a pre-lab question, you should first try to research the topic or concept in your textbook or online. If you are still having trouble, you can ask your instructor or a classmate for clarification.

5. Are pre-lab questions graded?

This may vary depending on the instructor's grading policy. Some instructors may assign a grade to the pre-lab questions, while others may use them as a tool to assess your understanding and preparation for the experiment.