1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

7 steps to climb in how many ways?

1. Feb 5, 2005 #1
    You have 7 steps to climb. You can go up 1 step or 2 steps at a time. In how many different ways can you climb the steps? Use the chart below to help organize your work.

number of steps: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    number of ways:

I dont understand what am I supposed to write in the chart?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a problem in which VISUALIZATION and a pen & a paper would help considerably.

So how about leaving side questions aside (sic) and tell us how would u go about solving it...??

Daniel.

4. Feb 5, 2005 #3
    Ok Um Im not sure if this is what the question is asking but I think

Number of steps: 1 2 3 4 5
    Number of ways: 1 2 3 5 9

Ok this is what I did i sketched the number of steps and then using the fact that u can only take 1 or 2 steps I saw how many combinations I can get for example for 4 steps I got you could take (1 1 1 1) (121) (112) (211) (22) These are all steps. There are 5 possible ways of goin up the stairs?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  5. Feb 5, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In that way you won't cover all possibilities... :wink: You have to find all possible sequences of integers between 1 & 7 (heads/ends included) in which consecutive terms (different) would differ by maximum 2 units...

Daniel.

6. Feb 5, 2005 #5
    What you're being asked to fill out in the chart is how many ways can the numbers 1 and 2 be added together to make various numbers.

for example the first few are

1: 1
    2: 2
    3: 3
    4: 5

7. Feb 5, 2005 #6
    I think I might have got it lol I was editting my last post when u posted this and I got the same for 1-4 steps

8. Feb 5, 2005 #7
    steps 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

ways 1 2 3 5 9 11 18

This is what I got how do I know if I have missed any combinations? What was the point of this?

9. Feb 6, 2005 #8
    I've just been doing some more and it looks like you've made a mistake, i got

1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21

Just looking at it makes me think its the fibbonachi sequence

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  10. Feb 6, 2005 #9
    You have been doing alot with fibonacci lately, havent you aisha? This is another example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?