1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

73 kg trampoline artist jumps vertcally upward from the top of a platform w/ v = 4.8

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    A 73 kg trampoline artist jumps vertcally upward from the top of a platform with a speed of 4.8 m/s.

a) What is his speed as he lands on the trampoline, 2.6 m below his jump off point? Express your answer to 2 significant figures.

= 8.6 m/s (already figured out this to be the correct answer)

b) If the trampoline behaves like a spring with spring stiffness constant 5.6×104 N/m, how far does he depress it? Any depression of the trampoline from equilibrium is to be taken as a negative distance. Express your answer to 2 significant figures.

Equations:

mg(h + x) + 0.5 mv2 = 0.5 kx2

(73)(9.8)(2.6 + x) + 0.5(73)(4.8)2 = 0.5(5.6 x 104)(x)2

Attempt:

I got a quadratic equation of 2.8 x 104 x2 - 775.4x - 2701

Tried solving it and got -0.35 m since the value has to be negative but it's not right so what did I do wrong?

Thanks!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2011 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: 73 kg trampoline artist jumps vertcally upward from the top of a platform w/ v =

Assuming your math is correct, use the positive value of x. I don't know why the problem asked for a negative value. Note that you have used the term (h + x) as the height of the artist above the fully depressed position. If x was a negative value, the artist's height above the fully depressed position would be less than his/her initial height above the unstretched trampoline, which makes no sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook