How to Use 74HC595 Shift Registers for LED Display with Arduino

• Thread starter grimofdoom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shift
In summary, the conversation discusses using 74hc595 shift registers with an Arduino to control a 13x16 LED screen. The speaker mentions difficulties in finding a working tutorial and confusion about the use of a capacitor on the latch pin. They provide instructions for setting the data and latch clocks, and mention the importance of correct power and ground connections. The speaker also mentions their current setup of 4 connected shift registers with only the first LED turning on.
grimofdoom
I have a 13x16 led screen I'm making(leds are put together), but now I'm trying to set up 4x 74hc595's. I've looked online and lots of the site seam similar but don't work and I do not know/understand how I can get my arduino to send (for example have the shift registers do "1010101010101010").

Engineering news on Phys.org
here is a site
http://arduino.cc/en/tutorial/ShiftOut#.UyKNM7TubD4

But I don't understand the capacitor on the latch pin. In the text they say 0.1uF. If you use 1uF you will need to have a very long latch pulse. You shouldn't need a capacitor at all on the latch pin, but you need a capacitor (0.1uF ceramic) across the power pins.

Set the data (pin 14) to a value.
pulse the shift clock high then low (pin 11)
do that 8 times, each time with a different data value.
Then pulse the latch clock high then low (pin 12). That will transfer the data to the output.

Make sure you have correct power, ground, have clear (pin 10) high and output enable (pin 13) low.

That's what I originally used but I never worked right... I have. Currently 4 connected together like how it shows on there with an led only on the first of each. I set my arduino so it sets them all to high but leds didn't turn on

What is a 74hc595 shift register?

A 74hc595 shift register is an integrated circuit chip that allows for digital data to be shifted in and out of multiple parallel-output serial-input registers. It can significantly expand the number of outputs available for a microcontroller or other digital device.

How does a 74hc595 shift register work?

The 74hc595 shift register works by using a clock signal to shift data bits from one register to the next, while also allowing for data to be input into the first register. This allows for a larger amount of data to be stored and output through a smaller number of pins on a microcontroller or other digital device.

What are the benefits of using a 74hc595 shift register?

The main benefits of using a 74hc595 shift register include its ability to expand the number of outputs available for a microcontroller, its relatively low cost, and its ease of use. It also allows for more efficient use of pins on a microcontroller, freeing up space for other components.

How do I connect a 74hc595 shift register to a microcontroller?

To connect a 74hc595 shift register to a microcontroller, you will need to connect the clock, data, and latch pins of the shift register to corresponding pins on the microcontroller. You will also need to connect the power and ground pins of the shift register to the appropriate power and ground pins on the microcontroller.

Are there any common issues when using a 74hc595 shift register?

Some common issues when using a 74hc595 shift register include incorrect wiring, incorrect clock timing, and issues with power supply. It is important to carefully follow the datasheet and double check all connections to ensure proper functioning of the shift register.