75% of the world materials used by Americans?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary, Americans also dubbed the biggest environment destroyer and polluter. The first part is probably true, the second part is true if rephrased to be more factual and less emotional.
Saint
This is what I often heard about, true or not?
Americans also dubbed the biggest environment destroyer and polluter

Physics news on Phys.org
The first part is probably true, the second part is true if rephrased to be more factual and less emotional - the US produces more net pollution than anyone else.

The caveat to both, of course, is that the US is also the largest producer in the world.

There are no train tracks near where I live, so on my once- or twice-a-year vacation trips, I always keep an eye out for trains. Major highways in the USA tend to parallel rail mainlines, often double-track. The majority of freight trains these days tend to be "stack trains" which consist of containers on flatcars. The containers are taken off of large ships on the coast, and I believe they usually go straight onto the trains, though I think they can also be put on wheeled frames and towed behind truck cabs as well--not sure about that. Typically a train will have many different shippers' names on the various containers. Ones I can remember offhand are Hanjin, Evergreen, and COSCO.

At any rate, I marvel at the huge quantities of goods that are in transit at any given time. I view it with a sort of pride, rather than with the shame that maybe others think it deserves.

Janitor said:
There are no train tracks near where I live...

I hadn't realized just how many train tracks and trains are near where I live until friends of mine came to visit with their 2-year old son. We quickly realized that pointing to "choo-choos" kept him quiet in the car, and were amazed at how many we could find to point out to him. I never thought I'd be one of those crazy people who pulls over in a store parking lot just so the kid can sit and watch all the train cars of a passing train. I've noticed a LOT of cattle cars.

Moonbear said:
I've noticed a LOT of cattle cars.

That's an interesting observation, because in the states I have been to in recent years, all in the west, I never see any livestock cars. I presumed they had become obsolete with the coming of cattle trucks.

I spent a night in the little Indian town of Kayenta near Monument Valley this summer. A cattle truck was parked in a dirt lot next to a fast food joint there while the driver got his food. The local homeless (?) dog was very interested in the stomping hooves and moo-ing sounds coming from the trailer. :cool:

Last edited:

1. Where does the other 25% of the world's materials go?

The remaining 25% of the world's materials are used by other countries around the world. While the United States is one of the largest consumers of materials, other countries such as China, India, and Japan also use a significant amount of materials.

2. What types of materials make up the 75% used by Americans?

The 75% of world materials used by Americans include a variety of materials such as natural resources (e.g. wood, oil, metals), manufactured goods (e.g. electronics, vehicles, clothing), and construction materials (e.g. concrete, steel).

3. How does this consumption impact the environment?

The high consumption of materials by Americans has a significant impact on the environment. The extraction and production of materials contribute to air and water pollution, deforestation, and greenhouse gas emissions. Additionally, the disposal of waste materials also has environmental consequences.

4. Is this level of material consumption sustainable?

The current level of material consumption by Americans is not sustainable in the long term. As the population continues to grow and resources become more scarce, it is important for individuals and industries to reduce their material consumption and find more sustainable alternatives.

5. How can we reduce our material consumption?

There are several ways to reduce our material consumption, including recycling and using recycled materials, buying durable and long-lasting products, reducing our overall consumption of goods, and supporting companies that prioritize sustainability and responsible resource use.