1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

7th Grade Problem

1. Mar 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two identical objects A and B are placed in contact with each other. If therml energy is transferred from A to B, then A will have a higher
    1) Potential energy
    2) Kinetic energy
    3) Temperature
    4) Pressure

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I put option number 4. However, the answer scheme said that the correct answer was 3, which happened to be ridiculous.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2015 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why do you think that Temperature is ridiculous? What do you think that thermal energy is?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  4. Mar 4, 2015 #3
    Thermal energy is supposed to be the amount of heat an object has. If A transfers thermal energy to B, then A would have less thermal energy than B. Thus, A would have a lower temperature than B.

5. Mar 4, 2015 #4

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A can't become colder than B when it's in contact with B. At most, it would reach equilibrium.

However, I don't think the final state is what the question is asking for. From what you wrote, I would think that they want to know the starting conditions. In that case, A has to have a higher starting temperature.

6. Mar 4, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You obviously don't realize that heat flows from hotter objects to colder objects, not the other way around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted