Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

8 band k.p model

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    hi ,
    I am working on bandstructure of AlxGa1-xAs/GaAs Quantum well with 8 band k.p method , but the results for CB,LH,HH and spin orbit splitting are different from other sources, for example CB energy for Al0.25Ga0.75As/GaAs
    (barrier and well width=50 A) with my program is 49.83 meV whereas the correct result is 73.175 meV.I have worked about two weeks to troubleshoot every mistake that might be there in the program but I really don,t know what is the source of problem ?
    I will be so happy that someone help me or introduce the complete reference about the 8 band k.p method for Quantum wells .

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2009 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Post your code or reference to the theory that you are using, there are many [itex] 8\times 8 \vec{k}*\vec{p} [/itex] variants. I can think of things you may not have done that will affect your answers significantly.

4. Nov 1, 2009 #3
    hi,
    Thanks for your response.

I sent 4*4 valence band k.p model matlab files and articles that I have used.please response me, whats the problem of codes and if possible send me another matlab file that I can use it for compare.

Thanks.
    Best regards.

Attached Files:

5. Nov 1, 2009 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It'll take me a little time to look thru everything. It has been a while since I looked at these problems (5-10 years or so).

6. Aug 18, 2010 #5
    Hi, I am working on band structure of SC heterostructures using 8x8 K.P method and i do have some variations in experimental results. can anyone please help me by sending me his version of the program. Thank you.

7. Jul 13, 2012 #6
    Hi, I am trying to model a type II GaSb/InAs superlattice through the 8 band k.p method in MATLAB....I have studied general quantum mechanics but have no background in coding. I need to calculate the bandstructure and the CB,VB wavefunctions....can anyone provide me with a sample code for better understanding?? thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook