How do 8 blowers create a vortex for a dancing fabric installation?

• Thread starter grassy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vortex
In summary, this installation uses fans to create a vortex that is beautiful and mesmerizing. There is no need for a computer to control the intensity of the fans, as the vortex is created by the circular flow of air created by the fan blowers.
grassy
Hello Physics gurus,
lately I watched a nice installation of a dancing light weight fabric.
Over the ground there were placed 8 blowers in circular positioning 45 degrees each one.
So I'm wondering if there was some computer controlling the intensity of all those blowers.
This fabric goes up and down, twirls, unfolds etc.
What physics setup would make such thing?

best regards,
grassy

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
grassy, Welcome to Physics Forums!

As for your question, judging from the photo all we can see is power cords leading from those fan blowers. It is doubtful any computer is controlling their intensity. I guess it is simply a "trial and error" setup...they anchored the material and then moved the blowers around until they got the behavior they wanted.

Last edited:
grassy said:
Hello Physics gurus,
lately I watched a nice installation of a dancing light weight fabric.
Over the ground there were placed 8 blowers in circular positioning 45 degrees each one.
So I'm wondering if there was some computer controlling the intensity of all those blowers.
This fabric goes up and down, twirls, unfolds etc.
What physics setup would make such thing?
I guess the blowers create a circular flow in the shape of a torus (donut). Was it just a fabric, or was some kind of weight embedded in it?

hey guys,
I had to check all my utube bookmarks...
well I found this vid.
I'm sure it will help you get a better idea of what I'm talking about

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
A.T. said:
I guess the blowers create a circular flow in the shape of a torus (donut). Was it just a fabric, or was some kind of weight embedded in it?

Hey A.T..pls check this video :

do you still believe that there is no computer involved for this vortex?

Best regards
g.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you insist there must be some computer involved? The result is beautiful, and mesmerizing. But there is no need for a closed-loop feedback system of optical sensing/imaging, computer decision-making, and fan control. Can you not visualize the air flow...vortex...that those 8 fans create? It's pretty simple, and has great artistic creative value.

Bobbywhy said:
Why do you insist there must be some computer involved? The result is beautiful, and mesmerizing. But there is no need for a closed-loop feedback system of optical sensing/imaging, computer decision-making, and fan control. Can you not visualize the air flow...vortex...that those 8 fans create? It's pretty simple, and has great artistic creative value.

Hey Bobbywhy, i totally agree with you about this artistic installation.
No computer controlling was my 1st thought about this.
Since I'm not good in physics, yes it's hard hard for me to understand how this vortex is happening.
I tried to simulate this within a 3d application, but got poor results.
Simplicity can be art for sure!
thanx for responding!

g./

grassy said:
Since I'm not good in physics, yes it's hard hard for me to understand how this vortex is happening.
After watching the video I assume the fans are not pointed exactly towards the center of the circle, but slightly off, hence the vortex. But they still pump air into the central area, which has to escape somewhere. And the only way is up, hence the lift effect. You don't need computer control for this because the lift falls off with height. If the cloth goes to high it drifts to one side, falls down and gets pushed into the center again.

A.T. said:
After watching the video I assume the fans are not pointed exactly towards the center of the circle, but slightly off, hence the vortex. But they still pump air into the central area, which has to escape somewhere. And the only way is up, hence the lift effect. You don't need computer control for this because the lift falls off with height. If the cloth goes to high it drifts to one side, falls down and gets pushed into the center again.

You see! you have it... I don't.
Yes this sounds to be the trick behind this excellent installation.
I couldn't think of this detail about where these funs are pointing!
Thank you very much for this...

I started to think that a controller makes them run,
in a higher speed and then lower back again, but not at the same time for all.
cheers!
g./

1. How does a vortex form with 8 blowers?

A vortex forms when air is rapidly circulated in a spinning motion, creating a low-pressure center. With 8 blowers, the air is being pushed and pulled from multiple directions, resulting in a stronger and more defined vortex.

2. Can a vortex be created with less than 8 blowers?

Yes, a vortex can be created with fewer than 8 blowers. The number of blowers needed to create a vortex depends on the strength and speed of the blowers, as well as the size and shape of the container or space.

3. What factors affect the size and strength of a vortex created by 8 blowers?

The size and strength of a vortex created by 8 blowers can be affected by the speed and power of the blowers, the size and shape of the container or space, and the density and temperature of the surrounding air.

4. How can a vortex created by 8 blowers be used in scientific research?

Vortexes created by 8 blowers can be used in many scientific studies, such as studying fluid dynamics, air flow patterns, and weather phenomena. They can also be used for visual demonstrations or as a tool for mixing and blending substances.

5. Is it safe to create a vortex with 8 blowers?

Creating a vortex with 8 blowers should be done with caution and proper safety measures. The blowers can produce strong winds and may cause objects to fly or topple over. It is important to ensure that the blowers are securely placed and that there are no hazards or obstructions in the surrounding area.