Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

8 Degrees and a billionaire

1. Oct 1, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A friend of mine just did some work for this person and brought him to my attention. He is certainly one of Oregon's finest. I guess his 160,000 acre ranch [about 30 miles by 5 miles] includes private snow skiing. :cry:

He is quite an impressive person.

http://www.pamplin.org/home.html

Apparently he may hold more degrees than any living person. Anyway, no real point I just thought he is interesting.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2004 #2

I only count 5.. Not that I'm complaing.. after 2 it becomes a moot point.. .hehe

4. Oct 1, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was five subject areas. I was told eight degrees, including two Ph.D's, in addition to many more hororary degrees.

People like this just amaze me. How can he do so much?

5. Oct 1, 2004 #4
    I'm sure he's a total party animal... hehe

Ya something like that goes beyond intelligence.. But if you think about it, once you have your general studies out of the way, a lot of duplication is eliminated because you just have to take courses specific to your degree..but still..I imagine it's taken him 30 years to do something like that..

6. Oct 1, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've little respect for honorary degrees. Eight real degrees - that I've got great respect for.

King Bhumibol Adulyadaj (of Thailand) holds the record in the Guinness Book as the recipient of more honorary academic degrees than anyone else in the world. The King has received a grand total of 136, exceeding the 131 awarded to Father Theodore Hesburgh, president of Notre Dame University.

:yuck:

7. Oct 1, 2004 #6
    I think this guy has 8 ACTUAL degrees plus honary degrees.

8. Oct 1, 2004 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe so, too. And I do have great respect for him, even otherwise.

9. Oct 1, 2004 #8

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but can he score 75,000,000 poins in level III of Death Kill Battle Underlords!

I wonder if he sleeps. And if he does, does he dream. And if he does, does he dream of earning another degree?

Some people.

10. Oct 1, 2004 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No but I understand that this is now his primary goal in life. :biggrin:

11. Oct 1, 2004 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey Evo, have I got the guy for you! :biggrin:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  12. Oct 1, 2004 #11
    I'm fairly stupid, but even I have 2 degrees. And, had I the money and hence, free time, I would have 4 or 5 degrees by now, and be on my way to more. I love studying and would do it full-time for the rest of my life if I had great wealth. This guy also runs a large company, though, and there's no way I could handle the responsibility and pressure of that and study at the same time. But, at least, as the big boss, he gets significant freedom of choice in the utilisation of his time. He clearly is an extremely intelligent person.

13. Oct 2, 2004 #12
    Plus it didn't say he was an "A" student. He may have passed some of the classes by the skin of his teeth.. of course if he runs a company, he must be intelligent enough...

14. Oct 2, 2004 #13
    I confess the title of this thread led me to believe it was either going to be about some rich man who lived in Antarctica, or a ‘get rich quick’ scheme of some sort.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?