8-year-olds placed in Cage Fights

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cage
In summary: It's funIn summary, this conversation is discussing the legal age for kids to start participating in various physical competitions such as wrestling, boxing, and martial arts. The opinion is that these activities should be illegal because of the amount of violence involved.
Drakkith said:
What's wrong with gymnastics? All 3 of my sisters did it, as did I, and one probably could have had a chance at the national team if she had stayed in another year or two. In the end she didn't want to do it anymore and my parents didn't make her.

if they were competitive, then energy balance will be affected and it will delay and alter their development.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20840251

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see a problem, they're not really fighting MMA, just submission grappling.
No punches, kicks.
I'm a big mma fan, but I think it should be for people aged over 18.

Proton Soup said:
if they were competitive, then energy balance will be affected and it will delay and alter their development.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20840251

I'll take that with a grain of salt, as at no point in time did any of my sisters nor anyone else I knew have "restricted energy availability".

estro said:
1. Football is not art. [your comparisons don't make sense]
2. If you experienced violence while playing football you must be playing the wrong players.

1) MMA isn't an art either, it's a sport. Just like football is a sport. How on Earth do my comparisons not make sense?

2) You've never played football, have you? My collarbone would like a word with you, since it never healed properly.

Drakkith said:
I'll take that with a grain of salt, as at no point in time did any of my sisters nor anyone else I knew have "restricted energy availability".

it doesn't mean that food access was restricted. it's a difference between input and output. you also see it fairly common in some older (high school, college) female athletes and the first signs are things like menstrual cycle disruptions. but like i said, competitive. if they aren't competitive, and you don't see hormonal disruptions and impaired growth, then maybe it's nothing for you to worry about.

Wow, that's quite mild. It's just grappling. They should be wearing head gear, mouth guards, and maybe pads, though.

I'd be careful to ensure that the kids really want to do it, and aren't just trying to please the adults in their lives. But then, that should be a concern for most activities kids get involved in.

I must say, those kids look healthy and fit. I bet they don't spend hours and hours playing video games or watching TV.

Jack21222 said:
1) MMA isn't an art either, it's a sport. Just like football is a sport. How on Earth do my comparisons not make sense?

2) You've never played football, have you? My collarbone would like a word with you, since it never healed properly.

1. You made a comparison between martial arts and this cage fighting!
2. Actually I'm playing in my university football [and chess =)] team.PS I'm now thinking you're possible was talking about american football [omg this game is pure craziness]?

Yes, american football is very dangerous. It's not uncommon for a 200lb kid to get double or triple blocked by a bunch of 250lb kids. That's 750 pounds of force...

On that note, the cage is what really prompts a knee-jerk reaction from a lot of people. In reality, it is a lot safer than ropes and allows for more strategy than a mat with 'out-of-bounds'.

Last edited:
KingNothing said:
Yes, american football is very dangerous. It's not uncommon for a 200lb kid to get double or triple blocked by a bunch of 250lb kids. That's 750 pounds of force...

On that note, the cage is what really prompts a knee-jerk reaction from a lot of people. In reality, it is a lot safer than ropes and allows for more strategy than a mat with 'out-of-bounds'.

That's quite possible. The words "kids", "fight", and "cage" don't sound kind or gentle :wink:.

Proton Soup said:
it doesn't mean that food access was restricted. it's a difference between input and output. you also see it fairly common in some older (high school, college) female athletes and the first signs are things like menstrual cycle disruptions. but like i said, competitive. if they aren't competitive, and you don't see hormonal disruptions and impaired growth, then maybe it's nothing for you to worry about.

I'm not disagreeing that those things can happen, I'm just saying that from my personal experience and observation that did not happen. I will admit that I have a limited view of the subject though, so I can see this happening depending on the training regime and the individual.

estro said:
1. You made a comparison between martial arts and this cage fighting!
2. Actually I'm playing in my university football [and chess =)] team.

PS I'm now thinking you're possible was talking about american football [omg this game is pure craziness]?

1) What you call "cage fighting" IS MARTIAL ARTS. It's right there in the name. Mixed Martial Arts. Most of what you see in that video is Jiu-Jitsu. If you want to complain that Jiu-Jitsu isn't a martial art, then you might be the first person in the history of the world to make that argument.

2) Yes, American football. The kind of football where a 250 pound linebacker traveling at 10 miles per hour can hit a 180 pound wide receiver just as he catches the ball.

estro said:
1. Football is not art.

Any endeavor whereby decisions are made and actions are taken based at least in part on experience-fueled intuition is art. The way some folks can hit sporting clays is art. The way some welders can lay a perfect bead is art. The way a mason can lay brick is art, and is why he and others who produce things with their hands are referred to as artisans.

Even painting employs aspects of science, such as color selection, formulation of paints, and so forth. The result is half science and engineering, and half intuition and experience. Football is art. Flying a plane is art. Carving a Quaker chair is art.