80 other reported cases of fetus-in-fetu

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, a guy carried his twin sibling around in his belly for 36 years without ever knowing it until a surgeon opened him up to releave him. Apparently the unborn fetus was a parasite and had been growing along with the adult as he grew. There are about 80 other reported cases of fetus-in-fetu.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
OK, I really hate to loose the nice story I just wrote and having to rewrite it.. Greg really has to do something about that

In short: there was this guy that carried his twin sibling around in his belly for 36 years without ever knowing it until a surgeon opened him up to releave him from his 2-3 times 9 mo. pregnancy sized belly. Apparently the unborn fetus was a parasite and had been growing along with the adult as he grew

There are about 80 other reported cases of fetus-in-fetu :S

Biology news on Phys.org
OK, I really hate to loose the nice story I just wrote and having to rewrite it..

Try copying your entire post just before hitting the submit reply button. If anything goes wrong, you can just paste your post again.

Woah! Was his sibling conscious?

Originally posted by Bubonic Plague

Woah! Was his sibling conscious?

It might have been if it wasn't calcified and headless. It had 26 pounds of hair, though. I don't really want to think about where.

Yes, it didn't have a well formed head but it did have a lot of hear and was quite big so it should have been alive for a long time I guess .

I had never heard of anything like this before, as I understand it the other fetus had actually implantated itself in the other person? Since it had its own sack with fluid and was able to grow.. anyone an idea at what point in the development of the fetus the window is for this to occur?

Just today I saw a documentary of a siamese twin which was one up to the shoulder but had two heads but seemed healthy otherwise.. I didn't see the beginning and I wonder how they experience sharing two brains with one body?

Hmm, I don't suppose you have an on-line reference, do you?

the technical term is called "Fetus in Fetu." normally the "parasite" child attaches itself to an artery but rarely does it actually form a face or brain. it does however, in some cases, form legs, arms, teeth and hair. here are some pictures:
http://www.ijri.org/articles/archives/2003-13-1/obstetric_93.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "fetus-in-fetu"?

Fetus-in-fetu is a rare condition in which a malformed fetus is found inside the body of its twin. It is a type of parasitic twin and occurs during the early stages of embryonic development.

2. How is "fetus-in-fetu" diagnosed?

Fetus-in-fetu is usually diagnosed through imaging tests such as ultrasound, MRI, or CT scan. Blood tests and physical exams may also be done to assess the overall health of the individual and to check for any other abnormalities.

3. What are the symptoms of "fetus-in-fetu"?

The symptoms of fetus-in-fetu may vary depending on the location and size of the abnormal twin. Some common symptoms include abdominal pain, abdominal mass, vomiting, and constipation. In some cases, there may be no symptoms at all.

4. What causes "fetus-in-fetu"?

The exact cause of fetus-in-fetu is unknown. It is believed to occur due to a mistake during the early stages of embryonic development, where one twin is enveloped by the other. Certain genetic factors may also play a role.

5. How is "fetus-in-fetu" treated?

The treatment for fetus-in-fetu usually involves surgical removal of the abnormal twin. In some cases, if the twin is too large or if it is deeply embedded in vital organs, it may require a more complex surgery. Regular follow-up and monitoring may also be necessary to check for any potential complications.

Back