Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

$83 jar of honey

1. Dec 23, 2007 #1
    I remember finding a ~$100 pair of socks at Harrod's:

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/2007/12/23/harrods_offering_83_a_jar_honey/1099/

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2007 #2

turbo

Gold Member

At over $20/ounce, I don't think it will by flying off the shelves.

4. Dec 23, 2007 #3
    but it's been endorsed by kylie minogue & sienna miller!

5. Dec 23, 2007 #4
    I think its royal jelly, the best of the honey that the bees normally keep for themselves.

6. Dec 23, 2007 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It doesn't mention being royal jelly, and even that's not that expensive.

I've never even heard of those two people, when did they get their degrees in nutrition? Am I missing something?

Oh, the article says
    Let's see, I have an 83 cent jar of honey and the ingredients are...HONEY! Who would have guessed?
    I guess if you want any significant amount of either of these you'd be better off just buying them? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  7. Dec 23, 2007 #6
    I think a similar product was mentioned in a CSI episode.

8. Dec 23, 2007 #7

turbo

Gold Member

We have lots of locally-produced honey that is great-tasting and relatively inexpensive if you don't buy it in some frou-frou gift shop. Maybe I should plant some ginseng and echinacea and establish a hive or two so I can cash in. We don't have a Harrod's here, but we do have LLBean, where millionaire actors, actresses, investment bankers, and politicians stop to pick up sundries on their way to Mt. Desert Island and other exclusive summer retreats.

9. Dec 23, 2007 #8

Evo

turbo, you are sitting on a freeking goldmine, your hot sauces, your herbal honey.... You'll be a millionaire in no time. I even know a celebrity that could shamefully endorse your products!!

10. Dec 23, 2007 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Er, I hope you meant shamelessly. I don't think I'd want Britney Spears hawking my food. :yuck: :rofl:

11. Dec 23, 2007 #10
    Turbo, I love the pic. I've had 3 ferrets, they're a lot of fun.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  12. Dec 23, 2007 #11

Evo

:approve:
    Heheh, shamelessly.

I'm thinking a picture of your ferret on every jar.

13. Dec 23, 2007 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Ooh! Turbo hot stuff. That could take off. I've got to admit that our 2nd ferret, Lefty, was the one that was the most fond of hot foods. He loved chili. He'd eat a bunch of it, then race around the living room rubbing his mouth on the carpet, and then he'd come back for more. What a cutie! I used to love to have steamed clams or oysters with tabasco sauce, and he would challenge me for them, and would stand on his hind feet and bang my legs with his front feet. It was not possible to eat shellfish, chili, or even hot spaghetti without Lefty in attendance.

14. Dec 23, 2007 #13

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The people who wear $5000 jeans and $20000 boots would rather die than be seen eating plain-old clover honey. How gauche! When even ordinary people can afford tupelo honey, what can the rich spread on their toast? The people who specialize in parting rich fools from their money know this, and hence the $83, half-size jar of honey. I bet it's mostly clover.

15. Dec 23, 2007 #14

Evo

Supposedly local honey is the best for you as it contains local pollen and can help build up immunity to allergies. Don't know about that, does that mean I should inhale the dust bunnies under the bed to build up an immunity? Should I strap the cat to my face?

16. Dec 23, 2007 #15
    Well, exposure can build up immunities. When my mom moved to New Mexico from Oregon, she had terrible allergies to sagebrush, but eventually it went away. I think its strongest effect is on young kids. Thats partly why these people that keep their houses totally germ-free with Lysol, etc. are gonna have screwed up kids who have no immunities.

17. Dec 23, 2007 #16
    I knew honey is a good antibiotic but I've never heard that it helps build immunity to allergies. I thought an allergy was something you had for life?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?