How Many People Can a Raft Made of 9 Logs Hold Before Getting Wet?

• Thread starter superjen
  • Start date
In summary, a raft made of 9 logs lashed together, each with a diameter of 29.1 cm and length of 5.7 m, can hold 46 people before their feet start getting wet. This is based on the assumptions that the average person has a mass of 69.3 kg, the density of water is 1000 kg/m3, and the density of wood is 600 kg/m3.
superjen
A raft is made of 9 logs lashed together. Each is 29.1 cm in diameter and has a length of 5.7 m. How many people can the raft hold before they start getting their feet wet. Assume the average person has a mass of 69.3 kg and that the density of water and wood is 1000 kg/m3 and 600 kg/m3, respectively

[okay, what i did was i found the volume of one log.
V = (pi)(r^2)H
r is used 0.1455 (29.1 converted to m then divided by 2 to get radius)
h i used 5.7m , then times it by 9.
(i got an answer of 3.411875)

then i found FB. FB = pwaterVg (1000)(3.41188)(9.81)

since i knew the density of wood, and the volume, i found the mass
m = pwoodV
got an answer of 2047.125

then i used this equation FB = [ x*mass of one person + mass of 9 logs] g

when I am done, i get an answer of 46 people. its wrong. can someone show me where I am going wrong!?

Physics news on Phys.org
superjen said:
A raft is made of 9 logs lashed together. Each is 29.1 cm in diameter and has a length of 5.7 m. How many people can the raft hold before they start getting their feet wet. Assume the average person has a mass of 69.3 kg and that the density of water and wood is 1000 kg/m3 and 600 kg/m3, respectively

[okay, what i did was i found the volume of one log.
V = (pi)(r^2)H
r is used 0.1455 (29.1 converted to m then divided by 2 to get radius)
h i used 5.7m , then times it by 9.
(i got an answer of 3.411875)

then i found FB. FB = pwaterVg (1000)(3.41188)(9.81)

since i knew the density of wood, and the volume, i found the mass
m = pwoodV
got an answer of 2047.125

then i used this equation FB = [ x*mass of one person + mass of 9 logs] g

when I am done, i get an answer of 46 people. its wrong. can someone show me where I am going wrong!?

From your numbers you have 3411 - 2047 = 1364 and divide by 69.3 gives a different number.

ahh! ok, i see now, !
makes sense, i didn't need to multiply it by 9.81!

1. How many people can be fed with 9 logs?

The number of people that can be fed with 9 logs depends on various factors such as the size of the logs, the type of wood, and the individual's calorie needs. It is not possible to give an exact number without more information.

2. What is the average weight of a log?

The average weight of a log can vary greatly depending on the type of wood and the size of the log. It can range from a few pounds to over 100 pounds.

3. Can logs be used as a sole source of food for humans?

No, logs cannot be used as a sole source of food for humans. While they may provide some nutrients, they do not contain all the essential vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients that humans need to survive.

4. How long would 9 logs last if used as a food source?

The length of time that 9 logs would last as a food source depends on the factors mentioned in the first question. It is not possible to give an exact timeframe without more information.

5. Can logs be safely consumed by humans?

No, logs are not safe for humans to consume. They may contain harmful chemicals, bacteria, or parasites that could cause illness or even death if consumed. It is important to only consume food that is meant for human consumption.