Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

$9 soc scam

1. May 12, 2015 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2015 #2
    Where does it say it costs $26?

4. May 12, 2015 #3
    ti's website, mind you that was for just one version of the arm microcontroller but with the extra logic needed to support the peripherals I don't see it being any cheaper.

cheap cell phones is what I would compare this to but they make those by the million and sell at cost to later get the money back in service fees.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  5. May 12, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. May 13, 2015 #5

Hepth

Gold Member

The price TI charges the public for a single chip and the price they charge a vendor who orders 3 million of them are easily an order of magnitude off.

7. May 13, 2015 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

+1 for Hepth.

thanks: are you unfamiliar with single-item retail price versus bulk wholesale price, or the concept if loss-leader products?

8. May 13, 2015 #7
    yes I'm familiar with those terms, I'm trying to find an on-line vendor of allwinner chips, the chips used and there doesn't seem to be one that's obvious.

i'll stay skeptical.

9. May 13, 2015 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

you shouldn't really as it's a totally valid reason

consider how they can sell DVD players for $39 when the combined retail price of all the parts would be $400 - 500

and that $39 includes manufacturing, freight to wherever in the world and markup by the wholesaler and retailer
    The manufacturing cost can only amount to a max of around $15 !!

Dave

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  10. May 13, 2015 #9
    your right about that, I've noticed with consumer electronics that they seem to be giving this stuff away. maybe it's a conspiracy meant to employ the Chinese, limit fossil fuel usage (though I don't see how) and keep the poor pacified?

11. May 14, 2015 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I think you already answered your own question with post #3: it's the cell phone model.

Similarly, on cars most of the profits come in selling options: the standalone GPS option on my car was $1400.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook