Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

9 Space Dimensions 2 Time Dimensions

1. Apr 28, 2004 #1
    In string theory i know that many of the ideas revolve around their being 11 dimensions for the equations to work out, the extra 7 dimensions are normally said to be curled space dimensions such as Greene's flatland portrayed in his book with the extra dimensions that the worm could not sense, i was wondering if in fact instead of 3 space and 1 time that we can see, and the rest 7 being space dimesnions could there not be multiple time dimensions such one would maybe correspond to where black wholes matter goes this would be keep the 2 law of thermo the argument that hawking and thorne have in check either way, and on a more theological expedition maybe the extra time dimesions could be god could be other past people einstein maybe even lol in another time dimension all around us. I just wondered if anyone i know greene speaks of it in Elegant universe but not very elaborately, wondered if anyone would care to share any ideas since i'm sure all of you know more about this than me. thanx

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Some physicists have played around with multiple time dimensions, but AFAIK they haven't come up with anything very compelling to other theorists.

4. Apr 29, 2004 #3
    Do we see or experience time?

5. May 8, 2004 #4

I don't think we actually see time, but we do experience it.. Aging is a great example of someone experiencing time...

Of course, I could be wrong as hell......

6. Jun 24, 2004 #5
    Time out of time!

:biggrin:
    Time exists outside of linear conceptions!
    It neither flows nor does it pass!
    It simply exists, as an all encompassing state our hubris cannot allow us to understand, since we are in it, not outside it!

7. Jun 25, 2004 #6
    F-theory had like 10 spatial dimensions and 2 times I think.

8. Jun 28, 2004 #7
    Where exactly are these extra space dimenions and why do we not feel them? For some strange reason i believe the dimensions they seek lie someplace else.

9. Jun 29, 2004 #8

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

They meet our four dimensional spacetime everywhere, at every point. Just as a two dimensional sheet of paper is connected to the third dimension at every point. We don't see the dimensions (according to string physics) becouse they are "compacted" into tiny shapes millions of times smaller than a proton.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?