Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

90° motion transmission

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    Hello,
    I need to transmit motion at a 90° angle, I was considering worm gears or bevelled gears, but then I thought about a flexible drive shaft, it would be cheaper and wouldn't have any backslash issues. I need to transmit motion at a 90° angle with a low toque and low RPM, the application is a simple and precise multiple rails positioning system for a few lasers.
    Do you think I could use a flexible drive shaft for my application? Would it be harder to turn, compared to a geared solution? Would I have any disadvantages?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2
    I think those things do not transmit motion with good efficiency.
    InputMotion ≠ OutputMotion.

4. Oct 31, 2012 #3
    I once saw a 90* motion transfer mechanism that had been used in lineshaft systems. It's input shaft drove a reciprocating arm via a ball joint which, in turn, caused a central shaft to oscillate. This oscillating motion was imparted to a second reciprocating arm which drove the output shaft. The neat thing about it, I thought, was that both shafts turned in the same direction. The mechanism was enclosed in a cast iron box and ran in oil. of course, lineshafts went out of style a century ago, but some sharp engineers worked on them and invented some pretty inpressive technology. I don't know where you'd find info or pix of this; nobody anymore is much interested in outdated technology except oddballs like me!

Rick A

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook