So instead, I'll just say: Can We Trust Our Government?

• News
  • Thread starter Icebreaker
  • Start date
In summary, there is an article from TBRNews.org which claims that over 5,000 US soldiers have gone AWOL to Ireland, but this claim is highly doubtful and lacks evidence. The Department of Defense releases the names of those killed in action, and there are other sources available for detailed information on casualties. The idea of US soldiers going AWOL to Ireland seems far-fetched and there are doubts about the credibility of the source. It is also pointed out that it is easier to cover up billions of dollars than thousands of missing soldiers. Overall, the article should be approached with caution and skepticism.
Icebreaker
http://baltimore.indymedia.org/newswire/display/10554

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
After reading the article this was taken from, I am more then skeptical. If he ever provides proof of his details, I would give it a second look, maybe.

He{Brian Harring, Domestic Intelligence Reporter}claims 5,000+ US soldgers have gone awol to Ireland? Don't you think the Irish would of noticed?

That would be a pretty big thing to cover up. There are a number of journalists, non-corporate news sources, and organizations who wouldn't hesitate to cover a story like this, if it was real.

Last edited:
The DOD releases the names of those killed.

There are also a number of sites with detailed information.

http://www.militarycity.com/valor/honor.html

http://icasualties.org/oif/Details.aspx

If over 7,000 name have been omitted from the lists, there would be several times that number (family, friends, associates) raising hell about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it was too much of a cover up to be believable. It sounded plausible because I can see the DoD saying those "killed in Iraq" are literally those KIA in Iraq. It wouldn't be the first time some twist of words are used to change numbers.

oh that is hilarious. us marines/army going awol and to ireland?

ahahahahahaha. oh wow only someone who never been to United States could write such crappy propaganda.

It's far easier to make billions of dollars disappear without anyone caring.

Rabid said:
It's far easier to make billions of dollars disappear without anyone caring.

Sad, but true.

hypatia said:
After reading the article this was taken from, I am more then skeptical. If he ever provides proof of his details, I would give it a second look, maybe.

He{Brian Harring, Domestic Intelligence Reporter}claims 5,000+ US soldgers have gone awol to Ireland? Don't you think the Irish would of noticed?
They are certainly not here in Ireland :rofl: . If they were they would nearly outnumber our own armed forces of 8500. Unless of course they are all cunningly disguised as sheep! :biggrin:

Art said:
They are certainly not here in Ireland :rofl: . If they were they would nearly outnumber our own armed forces of 8500. Unless of course they are all cunningly disguised as sheep! :biggrin:

are there enough pubs in ireland to even support 5000 US soldiers? :smile:

quetzalcoatl9 said:
are there enough pubs in ireland to even support 5000 US soldiers? :smile:
Since the government here banned smoking in pubs they'd have the pubs practically to themselves. :biggrin:

Art said:
Unless of course they are all cunningly disguised as sheep! :biggrin:

Through an amazing act of restraint, I have managed to prevent myself from making a comment on the above that would probably have had me banned forever. :yuck:

1. How accurate is the number of 9000 U.S. troops dead?

The number of 9000 U.S. troops dead is not accurate. It is an inflated number that has been circulating online and in certain media outlets. The actual number of U.S. troops who have died in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars is around 7,000.

2. Where did the number 9000 come from?

The number 9000 came from a misinterpretation of a report by the Congressional Research Service. The report stated that as of September 2021, a total of 9,000 U.S. troops have died in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. However, this number includes non-combat deaths, such as accidents and illnesses, and does not specify how many of those deaths occurred in combat.

3. How does the number of U.S. troops dead compare to previous wars?

The number of U.S. troops who have died in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars is significantly lower than in previous wars, such as World War II, Vietnam, and the Korean War. In comparison, over 400,000 U.S. troops died in World War II, over 58,000 in Vietnam, and over 36,000 in the Korean War.

4. What is the current death toll for U.S. troops in the ongoing wars?

As of September 2021, the current death toll for U.S. troops in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars is around 7000. However, this number may continue to change as the wars are ongoing.

5. How does the death toll for U.S. troops affect public opinion on the wars?

The death toll for U.S. troops in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars is a significant factor in shaping public opinion. While the number of deaths is relatively low compared to previous wars, it still represents a loss of human life and can influence public sentiment towards the wars.