Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

90's arcade game

1. Dec 14, 2006 #1
    I can't remember the name of the game, but I think it was made in the 90's. It features a flying ship where you attack ground and air targets. You get multiple upgrades that upgrade weapons, etc. It was in 32bit color, I think. I had a dream about this game but could not remember what it was called- and yes it is a real game.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2006 #2
    Lol, I remember the game as well I think but I can't remember the name. I think they also had it on SEGA or something right? Basically you just could move your ship up and down as well as left and right on the screen and the screen was always moving to the right to simulate flying forwards. Then at the end of most levels you would fight some boss.
  4. Dec 14, 2006 #3
    yah exactly. I remember playing at a Pizza Hut years ago. I just remember the name.
  5. Dec 14, 2006 #4
    Was it called defender?
  6. Dec 14, 2006 #5
    No it wasn't defender, it is a little bit more complex than that.
  7. Dec 14, 2006 #6
    Yea thats what I thought too :smile: . I don't know then.
  8. Dec 14, 2006 #7
    See, defender it that space based one, the one I'm talkin about isn't
  9. Dec 14, 2006 #8

Homework Helper

I'm not familiar with any side scrolling shooters, but Raiden and Raiden 2 were nice vertical scrollers.
  10. Dec 14, 2006 #9

Gold Member

That describes about 100 games to me. Sadly I can't remember any of the titles either... :rolleyes:
  11. Dec 14, 2006 #10
  12. Dec 14, 2006 #11
    That's what I was thinking of...
  13. Dec 14, 2006 #12
    Reminds me of my beloved Star Fox game..you had to beat the "boss" after each level.
  14. Dec 14, 2006 #13

Homework Helper

I sometimes wonder if there exists an arcade game where one didn't have to beat the boss after each level. :rofl:

Don't know why, since it doesn't match the description, but reminded me of Xenon. :smile:
  15. Dec 14, 2006 #14
    It is in either 32 or 64 bit color
    and a scrolling shooter
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  16. Dec 14, 2006 #15

Gold Member

17. Dec 14, 2006 #16
    No its not Zaxxon. It is a scroll shooter, and it -might- be from Capcon, but not sure.
  18. Dec 14, 2006 #17

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I miss Xevious. :frown:
  19. Dec 14, 2006 #18
    could it be CARRIER AIRWING?? i remember throwing away many quarters playing that one & raiden. :biggrin:
  20. Dec 14, 2006 #19

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm going to date myself, but that description made me miss Space Invaders! :biggrin: (I know, it's about a decade too early to be the one you're describing, and I don't think it was in color either.)
  21. Dec 14, 2006 #20
    Yah carrier airwing has the right idea, but the game I am talking about shows a top view of aircraft. You are facing off against other aircraft and there are tanks on the ground as well. I remember one of the cool upgrades was one that would let you have shots spread out form various directions. Nope not space invaders, good stuff though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?