92 naturally-occurring, elements

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, out of all the 92 naturally-occurring elements, only Niobium and Palladium derive their names from those of people, Niobe and Pallas, respectively. Other elements such as Curium, Gadolinium, Samarium, and Bohrium were named after famous scientists or researchers.
Out of all the 92 naturally-occurring, elements, ---------- and -------- are the only two that derive their names from those of people (and even then, not directly). Name both of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
are they real people?

Otherwise:
Niobium - Niobe, daughter of mythical king Tantalus
Palladium - Greek goddess of wisdom "Pallas"

I hated chem!

(net search - not my own knowledge admitedly!)

Rf rutherfordiam
Bh bohriam

?

Cm - Curium - after Marie Curie
Gd - Gadolinium - after Johan Gadolin (another french guy I had to search for the last one)

wait Curium has atomic number 96 (that puts him out)
I guess it is Sm - samarium and Gd - gadolinium

google did it

point for guybrush!

1. What are naturally-occurring elements?

Naturally-occurring elements are chemical elements that are found in nature and have not been created by humans in a laboratory.

2. How many naturally-occurring elements are there?

There are 92 naturally-occurring elements on Earth.

3. What is the most abundant naturally-occurring element?

The most abundant naturally-occurring element is hydrogen, making up about 75% of the mass of the entire universe.

4. Can naturally-occurring elements be found in pure form?

Yes, some naturally-occurring elements can be found in pure form, such as gold, silver, and copper. However, most elements are found in combination with other elements in compounds.

5. How are naturally-occurring elements used?

Naturally-occurring elements are used in a variety of ways, from building materials and fuels to medicine and technology. For example, iron is used to make steel, which is used in construction, and silicon is used in computer chips and solar panels.