Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News 9th Grader Arrested for Bringing Homemade Clock to School

1. Sep 16, 2015 #1

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/northwest-dallas-county/headlines/20150915-irving-9th-grader-arrested-after-taking-homemade-clock-to-school.ece?hootPostID=532c3696eb235a3f481ed45f733e6d90 [Broken]

Of course, this comes from a city, Irving, TX, with a mayor who has been an outspoken critic of Islam.

The worst quote comes at the end of the article
    It's official: the terrorists have won.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2015 #2
    Idiocracy :< The kid did nothing wrong, but gets labeled for being of certain complexion. This is...bs -.-

4. Sep 16, 2015 #3
    I used to tinker with electronics and would bring them to school too to work on them. It's sad that you can only do that if you're white. I thought the vow never to do that again was heartbreaking too, another potential genius shot down by american education. Something kinda cool that came out of it though, because he was wearing a NASA shirt when he was arrested, researchers from JPL apparently invited him for a tour.

5. Sep 16, 2015 #4
    The nerve!!

He's wearing a NASA shirt!!

CPAFMKrUkAABI2a.jpg

6. Sep 16, 2015 #5
    I thought at first the title said he brought a home made glock to school, and was about to question what the uproar was about.

Texans have a very special brand of stupidity. I don't think you'd find a story like this in other parts of the country.

There's nothing wrong with being an outspoken critic of Islam. I am an outspoken critic of Islam, and Christianity. The only problem is when you turn disdain for religion into prejudice against people.

7. Sep 16, 2015 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is wrong when you are a public figure and some of your constituents are Muslim. Similar issue with this Davis woman who did not want to grant the marriage licenses on the grounds that doing so violated her religious tenets. Go practice your personal beliefs on your personal time; while you are a government employee, you must follow the law. While a private citizen, of course you may criticize whomever you want as long as you don't do it in a way that incites violence, I would say.

8. Sep 16, 2015 #7
    No. How is being a critic of something the same thing as forcing your beliefs on people? There's nothing in the law that says government officials have to respect your personal beliefs - they only have to respect the law. If people take issue with a politicians opinion about some social or religious issue, they are free to vote against that person. And wouldn't you prefer people expose their opinions, good or bad, rather than keep them secret and let them silently impact their policy decisions?

9. Sep 16, 2015 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never said that this is equivalent to forcing your beliefs on people. But I think this is a particularly -delicate area, since you should not show show favoritism of one group over another when you exercise power over them; this is ethically troublesome, I would say. I think if you so deeply dislike some of your constituents, you should recuse yourself from running. Other than that, I have no problem with any other type of belief being expressed.

10. Sep 16, 2015 #9
    Ahmed invited to the White House. Great recovery Mr. President!

"Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House?," @POTUS tweeted. "We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It's what makes America great."

11. Sep 16, 2015 #10
    I mean seriously, the physic teacher was not able to differentiate a bomb from a clock.
    This is how you create terrorism. This kid did nothing wrong.

12. Sep 16, 2015 #11

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Besides, if the kid actually wanted to create a bomb, would he have brought it to school and shown it to everyone?

13. Sep 16, 2015 #12
  14. Sep 16, 2015 #13

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hey! @Drakkith is from Texas! And I'm pretty sure @Evo lived there for a while......

Digging deeper into the story, it seems there is more to it than just brains, bigotry, and innocence:

clock.or.ticking.bomb.jpg
    "...packed up the wirey mess in a pencil case to show his engineering teacher..."​

Reminds me a bit of a line from "Men in Black":

This kid has a "beeping" "pencil case" that looks way more like a suitcase.
    He's an engineering child, and should not have any interest in colored pencils.
    I would have been suspicious too.

15. Sep 16, 2015 #14
    Yeah, logics!!!

16. Sep 16, 2015 #15

donpacino

Gold Member

Apparently the engineering teacher new it was a clock and cautioned the student against sharing it with others...
    it was the English teacher that took the clock and 'turned him in'

17. Sep 16, 2015 #16
    Wow, that is disgusting. Charge him with making a hoax bomb?! Grief.

18. Sep 16, 2015 #17

donpacino

Gold Member

“He just wants to invent good things for mankind,” said Ahmed’s father, Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, who immigrated from Sudan and occasionally returns there to run for president.

His father just casually returns to his home country to run for president.....

19. Sep 16, 2015 #18

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Um... Well possibly it was a black clock. But the cop in the photo is at least as "certain complexion" as the kid. So I'm doubting it.

So you bring something to school that, to an English teacher, looks like a bomb. It's a bag of wires with a digital timer dial on it. And it's in your bag in English class and it beeps. Are you trying to impress your shop teacher with your ability at electronics? Or are you trying to create a fuss? Or are you just a grossly unwise doofus who has no idea what is appropriate in a classroom. That's a tough call from a fragmentary news article full of references to CAIR.

So if we are so careful not to be biased: Imagine this is a little white Christian sprog and the exact thing happened to him. Word for word, stroke for stroke. Are you equally as exercised? Does the POTUS send him an invitation to the White House? Hmm...

20. Sep 16, 2015 #19

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, we have long since disposed of this position. "Just following orders" is not a defense. One hopes that a public official will refuse to do things he or she believes to be evil even if their job requires it. And in the case you refer to, there is a reasonable mechanism that the local government can recall the official if they find this refusal unacceptable.

21. Sep 16, 2015 #20
    Certainly hindsight is 20-20, and so this story looks like something from the Tales of the Bizarre.

Considering what has gone on in past years, erroring on the side of security seems to be the more prudent action.
    If it had been really an explosive device, homemade, the alternate story would have questioning the teacher for not alerting authorities.
    I don't really see any evidence of racial profiling at all on the part of teachers or police.
    The times we live in.

Anyways, if he is to bring his clock to the White House, I suppose the president's men will just wave him on through without checking the clock package. NOT!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook