1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A 10.0-kg mass is placed on a 25.0o degree incline and friction keeps it from sliding

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 10.0-kg mass is placed on a 25.0o degree incline and friction keeps it from sliding. The
    coefficient of static friction in this case is 0.580, and the coefficient of sliding friction is
    0.520. The mass is given a shove causing it to slide down the incline.

2. Relevant equations

What is the frictional
    force while the mass is sliding?

3. The attempt at a solution

This is all I have so far, but I don't exactly understand it:

Frictional force while the mass is sliding = μmgcosθ = 0.52 X 10 X 9.8 X cos 25
    = 46.19 N

I need a full step-by-step explanation, if possible. I'll also take any other information about the problem that may make it easier. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Re: A 10.0-kg mass is placed on a 25.0o degree incline and friction keeps it from sli

Your 46.19 is correct.
    You also need to find the downward, along the ramp force. It is the other component of mg, that is mg*sin(25). The net force along the ramp is this force minus the friction force.

I always draw the ramp, put the mass at the very top and draw the mg force vector straight down. Then separate that mg into the sum of a force along the ramp and perpendicular to the ramp. The perpendicular force is the normal force pulling the mass against the ramp surface.

4. Nov 5, 2012 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: A 10.0-kg mass is placed on a 25.0o degree incline and friction keeps it from sli

Welcome to PF;
    Draw a free-body diagram for the mass and you'll see how that relation was found.

5. Nov 5, 2012 #4

I'll do all of the above. Thank you.

6. Nov 7, 2012 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Cool! Let us know how you get on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook