1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A 12 kg wooden block is floating Density=600 kg/m3 What volume of water is displaced?

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    A 12 kg wooden block is floating in a swimming pool. The density of the wood is
    600 kg/m3. How many cubic meters of water does the block displace?
    (a) 0.044
    (b) 0.066
    (c) 0.012
    (d) not enough information to answer
    (e) none of these

I'm really confused on this concept. I know that the weight displaced is the same weight as the object...But I don't know how to find volume from that.
    I also tried using the equation m=pv but I don't know if that will work, or if it does, I don't know if I should plug in the density for the wood, or the density of water.

Please help!!! I've been trying for hours and I can't figure it out :(

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: A 12 kg wooden block is floating Density=600 kg/m3 What volume of water is displa

The block must displace enough water to equal its weight. The density of water (at "normal" temperature and pressure) is 1 g per cm (in fact, that is how "gram" was originally defined). So it should be easy to find the volume of water that has mass 12 kg.

(The volume of the block is, in fact, irrelevant.)

4. Oct 9, 2012 #3
    Re: A 12 kg wooden block is floating Density=600 kg/m3 What volume of water is displa

I'm still a little confused..
    So would I plug it into m=pv?
    12=1000 x V

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook