Solve 2 Block Swing Homework: Find Mass m

In summary, the problem involves a box of mass M connected by a string to a block of unknown mass m. The box is at rest on a horizontal table with a coefficient of static friction k. The block is initially held horizontally and then released, causing the box to slide when the block reaches the bottom point of its swing. By setting the force of gravity equal to the friction force, it can be determined that the block must experience a centripetal force in order to move in a circular path. This force is provided by the circular swinging of the rope and is equal to mv^2/r. The total force acting on the block is mg+mv^2/r, and using conservation rules, the final answer is determined to be
postfan

Homework Statement

A box of mass M is at rest on a horizontal table. The coefficient of static friction between the box and the table is k. The box is connected by a taut string to a block of unknown mass m , initially held horizontally as shown and then released. The box begins to slide at the instant the block reaches the bottom point of its swing. Find the mass m of the block.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the force of gravity, mg, and set it equal to the friction force between the box and the table, kMg, getting m=k*M.

Attachments

• Block.png
    Block.png
    717 bytes · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity and friction are not the only forces involved. The block m is following a circular path...

Is the third force angular acceleration?

postfan said:
Is the third force angular acceleration?

Acceleration is not a force. What force is invoked to cause a body to move in a circular path?

Is it a centripetal force?

Yes, the mass must experience a centripetal force in order to move in a circular path. So how is this force provided?

The force is provided by the circular swinging of the rope and is equal to mv^2/r. Is that right?

postfan said:
The force is provided by the circular swinging of the rope and is equal to mv^2/r. Is that right?

The rope is the means by which the centripetal force is applied to the moving mass, yes. In addition, the rope also must supply a force that counteracts the weight of the mass at the bottom of the swing. Both forces are then acting in the same direction. What's the total?

The total is mg+mv^2/r. Is that correct?

postfan said:
The total is mg+mv^2/r. Is that correct?

Yes. You have enough information to continue. So rather than inching along one confirmation at a time, how about you take a stab at the full solution now?

Ok, I got m=2gkMr/(2^5/6*v^2+2*g*r). Is that right?

postfan said:
Ok, I got m=2gkMr/(2^5/6*v^2+2*g*r). Is that right?

Show your work. You've introduced new variables...

What is v? You should be able to determine v from the given information (I assume that r is given, although you didn't say so, right?)

r is not given in the problem and I can't figure out what v is.

postfan said:
r is not given in the problem and I can't figure out what v is.
If r is not given, then you have no choice but to introduce it as a variable. No problem. But you should be able to determine v, after all, it's just a mass falling though some distance in a gravitational field. Think about conservation rules.

Is v equal to pi*r*g/2, giving a final answer of m=k*M/(g*r)?

postfan said:
Is v equal to pi*r*g/2?

No. There's no pi involved; you want the change in height (in the gravitational field) in order to find the change in potential energy. What energy is it "traded" with, and what expression defines it?

Ok so is v=sqrt(2*g*r)?

postfan said:
Ok so is v=sqrt(2*g*r)?

Yup. Carry on.

Ok so the final answer is 1/3*k*M. Is that right?

postfan said:
Ok so the final answer is 1/3*k*M. Is that right?

Looks good! :smile:

Thanks a ton for your help!

You're welcome.

1. What is the equation for solving 2 block swing homework?

The equation for solving 2 block swing homework is: m = (M1 + M2)g / (2g + v^2 / L)

2. How do I determine the value of M1 and M2 in the equation?

M1 and M2 represent the masses of the two blocks in the swing. These values can be obtained from the given problem or experiment setup.

3. What is the value of g in the equation?

g represents the acceleration due to gravity, which is typically a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth.

4. How do I calculate the value of v in the equation?

v represents the velocity of the swing, which can be measured using a stopwatch or other timing device. It is important to ensure that the velocity is measured at the bottom of the swing when the blocks are moving the fastest.

5. Can the equation be used for different swing setups?

Yes, the equation can be used for different swing setups as long as all the variables are measured and calculated accurately. However, it is important to note that this equation may not work for more complex swing setups with multiple variables involved.