1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs A 2nd PhD in physics?

1. Apr 18, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    I am a physics PhD student from Africa, and about to finish my PhD within a year, also in Africa, where the science is poor.
    I could have applied for the PhD programs in physics in the states but because of family reasons I had to do it here.
    Since such family reasons are gone I am seriously considering applying for the physics PhD programs in the states after getting my PhD to get another PhD in physics

Is it okay to get another PhD in physics or is it forbidden by the USA law? If it is not allowed to apply for another PhD, then I might drop my current program to be able to apply for a decent program in the states then

Any suggestions and advice are welcome

Sincerely,
    Anoka

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Rather than doing another PhD in the same field, perhaps doing a post-doc would be of somewhat more value to you.

4. Apr 18, 2009 #3
    I didn't think I learned much during my PhD, 1 publication and another in the way. Taking into account the weak scientific research in Africa, The probability of getting a post doc having a PhD from here is practically 0. I care about learning well and do good quality research and thats is not available anywhere but in europe and usa and canada. My GRE physics is 850 taken a few years ago, It could be higher by now if I take it again.

5. Apr 18, 2009 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm no suggesting that you should do it or that you shouldn't do it, but it certainly is possible, as relativist and painter Malcolm Ludvigsen has two Ph.D.s.

From the blurb on the back cover of Ludvigsen's deceptively sophisticated general relativity book:

"Dr. Ludvigsen received his first Ph.D. from Newcastle University and his second from the University of Pittsburgh. His research at the University of Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland led to an Andrew Mellon Fellowship in Pittsburgh, where he worked the renowned relativist Ted Newman on problems connected with H-space and non-linear gravitons."

http://www.malcolmludvigsen.org.uk/artist.htm

6. Apr 18, 2009 #5
    You would have to look at specific schools. But I would say most would not admit you into their program if you already have a phd.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook