Solving a^3 + b^3 + c^2 = 2012 with Positive Integers: A Tricky Homework Problem

• Thread starter Lilt
  • Start date
I think it's just Fermat's theorem, not his last theorem, because the last one was proved to be impossible to solve. In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving finding positive integer solutions to the equation a^3 + b^3 + c^2 = 2012, where a, b, and c are positive integers. The conversation includes an attempt at solving the problem using prime factorization, but it is deemed unsuccessful. The conversation also includes a discussion on using brute force and number theoretical methods to solve the problem. Eventually, two possible solutions are found using a brute force program, and the conversation ends with suggestions on how to solve the problem without a program.
Lilt

Homework Statement

a^3 + b^3 + c^2 = 2012 ; a, b, and c are positive integers.

Homework Equations

I was thinking prime factorization, but that was a bust.

The Attempt at a Solution

2012 has a beast of a prime in it (503) so I have no idea how to solve this theoretically. Help.

In retrospect, factorization isn't a key element here anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is no solution.

I made a quick brute-force program that didn't return any solutions either.

Yes, there is a solution.

Villyer said:
I made a quick brute-force program that didn't return any solutions either.
I think you must have written it a bit too quickly then. :tongue:

a and b are less then 12, since [itex]\sqrt[3]{2012}<13[/itex]. So try things like 123+13 et cetera.

is this from a class and/or textbook? are there any relevant methods we should know about? give us some more context, this may use an obscure method (to avoid checking so many cases).

algebrat said:
(to avoid checking so many cases).
With modern computers, it's not all that many cases. A simple brute force program in python or perl takes but a handful of lines of code and will find the solutions ASAP. A couple of hands full are needed with a more traditional language such as C or C++. Excel could also be used as a brute force tool.

Aside from brute force or some refinements to it (but why bother?), some obscure number theoretical methods are most likely needed.

Then again, number theory has never quite grabbed me. Perhaps those methods aren't so obscure to someone who knows the subject.

Dickfore said:
I think there is no solution.

D H said:
Yes, there is a solution.

Ah, I just noticed I made a mess with the constraints, and I missed the solutions. After revising it, I found the two possible solutions.

I say two, because if (a, b, c) is a solution, then so is (b, a, c). But, in searching for a solution, it is sufficient to assume that [itex]a \ge b[/itex]. Then, you find one solution.

Let us look at the constraints for a and b. Because c is a positive integer, we have [itex]c \ge 1 \Rightarrow c^2 \ge 1 \Rightarrow a^3 + b^3 = 2012 - c^2 \le 2011[/itex]. Then, suppose [itex]a[/itex] is fixed. We have the following constraints for b:
[tex]
b \ge 1, \ b \le a, \ b^3 \le 2011 - a^3 \Leftrightarrow b \le \sqrt[3]{2011 - a^3}
[/tex]
Notice that there are two constraints for the upper bound of b. The smaller of them determines the true upper bound:
[tex]
1 \le b \le \min \left\lbrace a, \sqrt[3]{2011 - a^3} \right\rbrace
[/tex]

Of course, the minimum is no greater than any of its arguments. This establishes the bounds on a:
[tex]
\left \lbrace \begin{array}{rcl}
1 & \le & a \\
1 & \le & 2011 - a^3
\end{array}\right. \Leftrightarrow 1 \le a \le \sqrt[3]{2010}
[/tex]

Notice that [itex]\sqrt[3]{2010} \approx 12.62[/itex], so [itex]1 \le a \le 12[/itex] are the integer bounds for a.

Now, you may make a double loop to go through all allowed values for a and b. For a given pair (a, b), [itex]c^2 = 2012 - a^3 - b^3[/itex] is uniquely determined. But, is this a true solution when c is an integer? This establishes a selection criterion.

The program spits out a unique positive integer triple (a, b, c) as a solution. Due to the above mentioned symmetry, (b, a, c) is also a solution.

You ought to have enough information to sift through all the cases. If you are patient, you may even do it by hand. We are not allowed to give you a detailed solution, nor post the final answer without you making a significant attempt, so this is where I stop.

Thanks D_H for re-checking.

Ah, I read [itex]a^{2} + b^{2} + c^{2} = 2012[/itex]

I apoligize for giving a false statement.I edited the program, adjusted restraints on a and b to make it run faster, and it returned two possibilities: one being in the form a,b,c and the other being b,a,c.

I wouldn't know how to go about solving this without a program, however, and I would be interested to see if there was a simple way to do this.

Last edited:
Dickfore said:
You ought to have enough information to sift through all the cases. If you are patient, you may even do it by hand. We are not allowed to give you a detailed solution, nor post the final answer without you making a significant attempt, so this is where I stop.

Wow, thank you so much, but your methods went a bit over my head. Could you suggest which class or material I would need to study to be capable of working through this as efficiently as you just did? I am not very strong with calculator programs, and I was hoping this problem wouldn't mandate that, but it seems the time has come for me to learn them well.

Villyer said:
I wouldn't know how to go about solving this without a program, however, and I would be interested to see if there was a simple way to do this.

As would I, but now I think I need to find something like a calculator workshop lol.

Last edited:
For precalculus, the method would be obscure.

We still have not gotten confirmation of class, text, context or expectation in technique.

Last edited:
Hi Lilt,

If you are not expected to be familiar with programming, you can solve this problem by trial and error. If you have luck, it will not last too long. You know that neither a nor b can be greater than 12.

Let be a≥b. Fist assume that a=12. Its cube is 1728, so b3+c2≤284, so b can not be greater than 6. If you try to subtract the cube of b= 6, 5, ...1 neither of them results in a square of an integer.

So try a=11 and repeat the procedure. It is the same as Dickfore's program but you are the computer. :tongue2:

ehild

For A = 2 --> 7≤B
For A = 3 --> 7≤B
For A = 4 --> 7≤B
For A = 5 --> 6≤B
For A = 6 --> 5≤B

... You can already cancel out some options like this.

1. What is the significance of the equation "A^3 + B^3 + C^2 = 2012"?

The equation "A^3 + B^3 + C^2 = 2012" is a mathematical expression that represents a relationship between three variables, A, B, and C. The significance of this equation is that it is a Diophantine equation, meaning that it is a type of mathematical problem that asks for integer solutions to equations with integer coefficients. This particular equation has been the subject of much research and has been used as an example in various mathematical studies.

2. How can one solve the equation "A^3 + B^3 + C^2 = 2012"?

One can solve the equation "A^3 + B^3 + C^2 = 2012" by using various mathematical methods such as trial and error, factoring, or using algebraic techniques. However, since this equation is a Diophantine equation, it may not have a unique solution or may have an infinite number of solutions. Therefore, finding all possible solutions can be a difficult and time-consuming task.

3. What is the history behind the equation "A^3 + B^3 + C^2 = 2012"?

The equation "A^3 + B^3 + C^2 = 2012" has been around for centuries and has been studied by many mathematicians. One of the earliest known mentions of this equation was by the Greek mathematician Diophantus in his book "Arithmetica" in the 3rd century AD. However, it gained more attention in the 20th century when it was used as an example in various mathematical studies.

4. Are there any real-life applications of the equation "A^3 + B^3 + C^2 = 2012"?

The equation "A^3 + B^3 + C^2 = 2012" does not have any direct real-life applications. However, similar Diophantine equations have been used in cryptography and computer science to create secure algorithms. Also, the techniques used to solve this equation have been applied in other mathematical problems and research studies.

5. Can the equation "A^3 + B^3 + C^2 = 2012" be generalized to other numbers?

Yes, the equation "A^3 + B^3 + C^2 = 2012" can be generalized to other numbers. In fact, there is a whole field of mathematics called Diophantine analysis that deals with finding integer solutions to equations with integer coefficients. This equation is just one example of a Diophantine equation and can be modified to have different numbers on the right-hand side.