A 8.0×10^-2 kg ice cube at 0.0 degrees C is dropped into a Styrofoam cup

In summary, the task is to find the final temperature of a system containing 0.35 kg of water at 12 degrees C and an 8.0×10^-2 kg ice cube at 0.0 degrees C, assuming the cup and surroundings can be ignored. Using the equations Q=m*C*deltaT and Q=m*Lfusion, it was determined that the final temperature is -5 degrees C and some of the ice remains frozen. The initial temperature of the water needed to melt all of the ice is still unknown.
ihearyourecho

Homework Statement

A 8.0×10^-2 kg ice cube at 0.0 degrees C is dropped into a Styrofoam cup holding 0.35 kg of water at 12 degrees C.

A) Find the final temperature of the system. Assume the cup and the surroundings can be ignored.

B) Find the amount of ice (if any) remaining.

C) Find the initial temperature of the water that would be enough to just barely melt all of the ice.

Homework Equations

Q=m*C*deltaT
Q=m*Lfusion

The Attempt at a Solution

Qwater=m*C*deltaT = .35kg * 4186J/kg*k *12k = 17581.2J
Qiceto0celcius=0 because it's already at 0 celcius
Q1=Mice*Lfusion = (8*10^-2kg)*(33.5*10^4 J/kg) = 26,800J

17581.2 J - 26800J = -9218.8 J

Q2=(Mwater+Mice)*C*deltaT
-9218.8 J = (.35kg + .08kg)*4186 J/kg*k * deltaT
deltaT=-5 degrees celcius

This answer is wrong, but I'm not sure where I went wrong. Any help would be great :)

Physics news on Phys.org
By the way, those are the steps my professor did with a very similar problem, so I don't know how he got the right answer and I didn't...

Almost
Remember you don't know the final temperature yet so you need to just work through the equations calling it T

eg eqn 1
Qwater=m*C*deltaT = .35kg * 4186J/kg*k * (T-12)k

And similarly the melted ice heats from 0 to T

Last edited:
You started to compute the amount of heat that was released when you cooled the water to 0C , then you computed the amount of heat needed to melt the ice. The second amount was bigger.
does this mean that
a. the water now cools to -5 to release more heat to melt all the ice
b. some of the ice remains frozen.

I worked it through, thanks!

1. What will happen to the temperature of the ice cube when it is dropped into the Styrofoam cup?

When the ice cube is dropped into the Styrofoam cup, it will start to melt. This is because the temperature of the cup is higher than the freezing point of water, causing the ice cube to absorb heat from the cup and melt.

2. Will the ice cube completely melt in the cup?

No, the ice cube will not completely melt in the cup. As the ice cube continues to absorb heat from the cup, it will reach a point where the temperature of the ice and the cup are equal. At this point, the ice will stop melting and remain in its solid state.

3. How long will it take for the ice cube to melt in the cup?

The amount of time it takes for the ice cube to melt in the cup will depend on various factors such as the initial temperature of the cup, the temperature of the surrounding environment, and the size of the ice cube. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour for the ice cube to completely melt.

4. What will happen to the water from the melted ice?

The water from the melted ice will remain in the cup. It will mix with any remaining ice and will eventually reach the same temperature as the cup. This water can be used for drinking or can be disposed of.

5. Why is a Styrofoam cup used instead of a regular cup?

A Styrofoam cup is used because it is a good insulator, meaning it does not allow heat to pass through easily. This helps to keep the temperature of the cup and the water from the melted ice relatively constant, allowing the ice to melt at a slower rate. A regular cup, on the other hand, is a better conductor of heat and would cause the ice to melt at a faster rate.