Proof: a/b + b/a is Int iff a=b

• Thread starter DrAlexMV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: p^2w^2 + b^2 = pj where j is an element of the integerswe reorganize to: b^2 = p(j - pw^2) where pw^2 is the remainder after dividing j by p.
DrAlexMV

Homework Statement

Prove: a/b + b/a equals an integer, for any a,b nonzero positive integers, if and only if a = b

Homework Equations

Divisibility: d|e implies e = dj where j is an element of j for d and e element of the integers.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Let a/b + b/a = k where k is an element of the integers

2. a/b + b/a = (a^2 + b^2) / ab

3. (a^2 + b^2) = kab

4. Let (a^2 + b^2) = c where c is an integer

5. c = kab

6. Step five implies the three following things: a|c , b|c , ab|c

7. If a|c and b|c, then ab does not divide c and therefore step 6 demonstrates a contradiction.

8. Therefore a must equal b

Is this a solid proof? If not, could you tell me where the weakness is?

EDIT : If a and b are relatively prime. I cannot use my contradiction then! Any ideas ?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

One thing that positive integer could be odd or even.

Eh what if a and b are relatively prime. I cannot use my contradiction then! Any ideas ?

mtayab1994, what do you mean with that?

sorry my earlier comment was a typo i wanted to say if they were prime like you just stated

Yeah, I thought about that after I typed it. Any idea on how to solve this?

Well it seems that it really doesn't matter if they're prime, because take for example 5 ( a prime number). In this case we get c=a^2+b^2=50 so c/a=10 and c/b=10 and c/ab=2; and this will work for any number and that number c divided by ab is the same as a/b+b/a. Hopefully you can something in this.

I don't understand the contradiction. If a and b divide c ab can definitely divide c as well. In fact I don't see anything about a=b until after you got a contradiction already.

At step 3 just consider the equation mod a and b

Office_Shredder said:
I don't understand the contradiction. If a and b divide c ab can definitely divide c as well

Yes that's what i tried showing him in the previous reply.

I'm a little vague on what you think the contradiction is. I would assume a and b are relatively prime to begin with. (Otherwise you could just remove the common factors). Now suppose p is a prime divisor of a. What could you conclude from (a^2 + b^2) = kab?

Relatively prime does not mean that they are prime. Relatively prime means that the gcd(a,b) = 1. They have no common factors. My contradiction fails if a and b have no common factors.

Office Shredder, if a|c and b|c, then ab|c if gcd(a,b) = 1. Otherwise it does not work.

Would that mean that p|(a^2 + b^2) ?

DrAlexMV said:

Yes.

Where does that take me?

DrAlexMV said:

If there are multiple people responding it's a good idea to hit the Quote button before you reply to make it clear who you are responding to. But yes, assume gcd(a,b)=1 and try to derive a contradiction with that.

I'm not so sure.

Dick said:
If there are multiple people responding it's a good idea to hit the Quote button before you reply to make it clear who you are responding to. But yes, assume gcd(a,b)=1 and try to derive a contradiction with that.

So,
1. a^2 + b^2 = kab

2. Let gcd(a,b) = 1

3. Let p be a prime divisor of a

4. Then p|a^2 + b^2

I'm thinking but it is not clicking.

DrAlexMV said:
So,
1. a^2 + b^2 = kab

2. Let gcd(a,b) = 1

3. Let p be a prime divisor of a

4. Then p|a^2 + b^2

I'm thinking but it is not clicking.

Can't you show p must divide b as well?

Dick said:
Can't you show p must divide b as well?

Would this work?

a^2 + b^2 = pj where j is an element of the integers
a = pw where w is an element of the integers

Then:
p^2w^2 + b^2 = pj

we reorganize to:
b^2 = p(j - pw^2)

we let j - pw^2 = v where v is an element of the integers

so b^2 = pv

that implies p|b^2 and b times b will not create a factor p since p is prime therefore,

p|b

DrAlexMV said:
Would this work?

a^2 + b^2 = pj where j is an element of the integers
a = pw where w is an element of the integers

Then:
p^2w^2 + b^2 = pj

we reorganize to:
b^2 = p(j - pw^2)

we let j - pw^2 = v where v is an element of the integers

so b^2 = pv

that implies p|b^2 and b times b will not create a factor p since p is prime therefore,

p|b

That's a little more complicated than it needs to be but if p|a then p|a^2 and p|kab, so p|b^2. And if p is prime, then sure, p|b. Doesn't that contradict gcd(a,b)=1?

Yes, I saw that whenever you told me to prove that p|b. Thank you a lot, this proof really made me think for some reason.

1. What is the meaning of the statement "a/b + b/a is Int iff a=b"?

The statement means that the expression a/b + b/a will only result in an integer (whole number) when a is equal to b.

2. How can I prove that this statement is true?

There are several ways to prove this statement. One approach is to use the proof by contradiction method, where you assume that a and b are not equal and show that the expression cannot result in an integer. Another approach is to use algebraic manipulation and show that the expression simplifies to an integer only when a=b.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate this statement?

Sure, let's take the values a=2 and b=2. When we substitute these values in the expression a/b + b/a, we get 2/2 + 2/2 = 1+1 = 2. Since a and b are equal, the expression results in an integer (2).

4. Does this statement hold true for all values of a and b?

Yes, this statement holds true for all non-zero values of a and b. This can be proven mathematically or through a logical argument.

5. What real-world applications does this statement have?

This statement has applications in various fields such as algebra, number theory, and computer science. It can be used to simplify and solve mathematical equations, as well as in programming to check for equal values and perform integer operations.