1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A/b + b/a equals an integer, for any a,b nonzero positive integers, if and only if a

1. Apr 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove: a/b + b/a equals an integer, for any a,b nonzero positive integers, if and only if a = b

2. Relevant equations

Divisibility: d|e implies e = dj where j is an element of j for d and e element of the integers.

3. The attempt at a solution

1. Let a/b + b/a = k where k is an element of the integers

2. a/b + b/a = (a^2 + b^2) / ab

3. (a^2 + b^2) = kab

4. Let (a^2 + b^2) = c where c is an integer

5. c = kab

6. Step five implies the three following things: a|c , b|c , ab|c

7. If a|c and b|c, then ab does not divide c and therefore step 6 demonstrates a contradiction.

8. Therefore a must equal b

Is this a solid proof? If not, could you tell me where the weakness is?

EDIT : If a and b are relatively prime. I cannot use my contradiction then! Any ideas ?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2012 #2
    Re: a/b + b/a equals an integer, for any a,b nonzero positive integers, if and only i

One thing that positive integer could be odd or even.

4. Apr 10, 2012 #3
    Re: a/b + b/a equals an integer, for any a,b nonzero positive integers, if and only i

Eh what if a and b are relatively prime. I cannot use my contradiction then! Any ideas ?

5. Apr 10, 2012 #4

mtayab1994, what do you mean with that?

6. Apr 10, 2012 #5

sorry my earlier comment was a typo i wanted to say if they were prime like you just stated

7. Apr 10, 2012 #6

Yeah, I thought about that after I typed it. Any idea on how to solve this?

8. Apr 10, 2012 #7

Well it seems that it really doesn't matter if they're prime, because take for example 5 ( a prime number). In this case we get c=a^2+b^2=50 so c/a=10 and c/b=10 and c/ab=2; and this will work for any number and that number c divided by ab is the same as a/b+b/a. Hopefully you can something in this.

9. Apr 10, 2012 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't understand the contradiction. If a and b divide c ab can definitely divide c as well. In fact I don't see anything about a=b until after you got a contradiction already.

At step 3 just consider the equation mod a and b

10. Apr 10, 2012 #9

Yes that's what i tried showing him in the previous reply.

11. Apr 10, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm a little vague on what you think the contradiction is. I would assume a and b are relatively prime to begin with. (Otherwise you could just remove the common factors). Now suppose p is a prime divisor of a. What could you conclude from (a^2 + b^2) = kab?

12. Apr 10, 2012 #11

Relatively prime does not mean that they are prime. Relatively prime means that the gcd(a,b) = 1. They have no common factors. My contradiction fails if a and b have no common factors.

Office Shredder, if a|c and b|c, then ab|c if gcd(a,b) = 1. Otherwise it does not work.

13. Apr 10, 2012 #12

Would that mean that p|(a^2 + b^2) ?

14. Apr 10, 2012 #13

Yes.

15. Apr 10, 2012 #14

Where does that take me?

16. Apr 10, 2012 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If there are multiple people responding it's a good idea to hit the Quote button before you reply to make it clear who you are responding to. But yes, assume gcd(a,b)=1 and try to derive a contradiction with that.

17. Apr 10, 2012 #16

I'm not so sure.

18. Apr 10, 2012 #17

So,
    1. a^2 + b^2 = kab

2. Let gcd(a,b) = 1

3. Let p be a prime divisor of a

4. Then p|a^2 + b^2

I'm thinking but it is not clicking.

19. Apr 10, 2012 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can't you show p must divide b as well?

20. Apr 10, 2012 #19

Would this work?

a^2 + b^2 = pj where j is an element of the integers
    a = pw where w is an element of the integers

Then:
    p^2w^2 + b^2 = pj

we reorganize to:
    b^2 = p(j - pw^2)

we let j - pw^2 = v where v is an element of the integers

so b^2 = pv

that implies p|b^2 and b times b will not create a factor p since p is prime therefore,

p|b

21. Apr 10, 2012 #20

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a little more complicated than it needs to be but if p|a then p|a^2 and p|kab, so p|b^2. And if p is prime, then sure, p|b. Doesn't that contradict gcd(a,b)=1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook