Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A/B Extraction Theory

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    I understand the basics of acid base reactions but I don't understand how you determine which compounds in a mixture will react to the acid or base and convert into a salt. Does there have to be a large pH difference? For example say the compound I want to isolate has a pH of 11 but two other impurities in there have pH's of 6 and 8. If I was to add an acid with a pH of 2 I know that will convert the compound into a salt but how do I know if its going to convert the 2 impurities into a salt or not.

Is it only compounds with a pH in the range of 4-8 that will remain unchanged by the acid or base? I'm having trouble understanding how A/B extractions can be used effectively to isolate compounds seeing as all chemicals are acids and bases just some are stronger than others.

Also what steps are involved in A/B extractions? Lets say my compound has a pH of 11 and its called lembodine. To begin with I dissolve the mixture into a non polar solvent such as diethyl ether and do a wash with a polar solvent such acetone to lose all the inorganic compounds. Next I add conc. sulfuric acid and convert my compound into lembodine sulfate. Assuming the sulfuric acid has a pH of about 2 how do I know which impurities it will protonate and which it will leave untouched so I can wash out?

Anyhow lets say I add acetone to the acidified mixture so my lembodine sulfate will dissolve in it then I filter out the diethyl ether layer and add more ether to make sure I wash out any organic impurities which were not converted to salts. After this step I'm lost. Everyone says you should rebasify the mixture and do another wash with a polar solvent to further remove polar impurities. I don't understand this. Seeing as I already did a wash with a polar solvent in the beginning whats the point of doing it a second time?

Anyway following everyones advice lets say I add some conc. sodium hydroxide to basify the mixture which will deprotonate my compound and convert it back into lembodine base. After I do another acetone wash lets say I'm left with some impurities which converted back into organic bases with my lembodine. Is there now no way I can remove these basic impurities with acid base extractions alone and should I resort to another method?

Are acid base reactions only really a first step to purifying a compound which should be followed by methods such as recrystallization to insure the compound is properly isolated?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted