The correct answer is A only if B means the same thing as A implies B.

• Thread starter ice109
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion between the phrases "A only if B" and "A if and only if B" in mathematics. The speaker explains that "A only if B" means that A is a consequence of B, while "A if and only if B" means that A and B are both true or both false. The speaker also mentions a truth table that supports this interpretation.
ice109
i don't understand why this notation is the same thing as

"A only if B"

to me "A only if B" reads that A is a consequence of B but of course it actually means the reverse.

same thing with A<->B being stated as

"A if and only if B"

to me this reads that again A is a consequence of B and is only true when B is true. I don't understand how it tells anything about B or how you read the reverse implication from it, as far as english goes.

woops i meant this for general math, wasn't looking.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If we know that "A only if B", then which if these following cases are possible?

A is true and B is true.
A is true and B is false.
A is false and B is true.
A is false and B is false.

Hurkyl said:
If we know that "A only if B", then which if these following cases are possible?

A is true and B is true.
A is true and B is false.
A is false and B is true.
A is false and B is false.

if i were reading and interpreting the way I'm inclined to, back wards that is, all but the second. the correct answer is of course all but the third.

the truth table i would write for the statement "A only if B" is

B is true and A is true.
B is true and A is false.
B is false and A is true.
B is false and A is false.

now i would say all but the third.

ice109 said:
if i were reading and interpreting the way I'm inclined to, back wards that is, all but the second. the correct answer is of course all but the third.
You are interpreting it correctly... "A only if B" means the same thing as "if A then B", and the case it excludes is "A is true and B is false".

Maybe you are confusing "A only if B" with "A if B"?

1. Why does A lead to B?

A leads to B because of a cause and effect relationship. A is the cause and B is the effect. This means that when A occurs, B is the result or outcome.

2. How does A result in B?

A results in B through a series of biological, chemical, or physical processes. These processes can be complex and involve multiple factors, but ultimately A triggers a chain reaction that leads to B.

3. What is the scientific explanation for A causing B?

The scientific explanation for A causing B can vary depending on the specific situation. It could be due to a change in a specific variable, the activation of certain enzymes, or the release of hormones. Scientists often conduct experiments and studies to understand the exact mechanism of A leading to B.

4. Is A always the cause of B?

No, there are cases where A may not be the direct cause of B. It is important for scientists to consider other factors and variables that may also contribute to B. This is why experiments are often conducted to establish a cause and effect relationship between A and B.

5. Can A ever lead to a different outcome instead of B?

Yes, there are cases where A can lead to a different outcome instead of B. This could be due to the presence of other factors or the complexity of the situation. Additionally, individual differences and unique circumstances can also impact the outcome of A.