A ball is shot from the ground into the air

In summary, a ball is shot from the ground and reaches a height of 8.8 m with a velocity of (7.4)i + (5.7)j m/s. To find the maximum height, we can use the equation V^2 = Vi^2 + 2a(Δy) and solve for the y velocity when the ball reaches max height. The answer is the same regardless of which velocity is used.
Kpgabriel

Homework Statement

A ball is shot from the ground into the air. At a height of 8.8 m, the velocity is observed to be

v = (7.4)i + (5.7)j in meters per second (i horizontal, j upward). To what maximum height will the ball rise?

Homework Equations

V^2 = Vi^2 + 2a(Δy)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have listed my knowns for x and y
Y:
Yi = 0m
Y = 8.8 m
V = 5.7 m/s
Vi = 11.8 m/s ~solved from the equation

X:
V = 7.4 m/s
Xi = 0m

I am having a difficult time finding the max height because they do not give the time and I am not sure if I could solve for time with only the y components.

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need the time.
You can use the same equation again.
What is the y velocity when max height is reached?

billy_joule said:
You don't need the time.
You can use the same equation again.
What is the y velocity when max height is reached?
The velocity would be zero but I used that number and I get 7.1 m for displacement and that's too low.

Kpgabriel said:
The velocity would be zero but I used that number and I get 7.1 m for displacement and that's too low.
I see what I was doing wrong. I was forgetting to put in the 8.8 m and the 5.7 velocity which they already gave to me. Instead, I was using the initial velocity that I found which was not necessary.

As long as you recognise the starting points are different you can use either velocity, the answer is the same.

1. What factors affect the trajectory of a ball shot into the air?

The trajectory of a ball shot into the air is affected by several factors, including the initial speed of the ball, the angle at which it is shot, air resistance, and gravity.

2. How does air resistance affect the motion of a ball shot into the air?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of the ball's motion and can slow down its speed and alter its trajectory.

3. How does the angle at which the ball is shot affect its flight?

The angle at which the ball is shot plays a crucial role in its trajectory. A higher angle will result in a shorter distance but a higher peak, while a lower angle will lead to a longer distance but a lower peak.

4. What is the relationship between the initial speed and the maximum height reached by the ball?

The maximum height reached by a ball shot into the air is directly proportional to the square of its initial speed. This means that doubling the initial speed will result in four times the maximum height.

5. What is the effect of gravity on the motion of a ball shot into the air?

Gravity acts in the downward direction, causing the ball to accelerate towards the ground. As the ball moves higher, the force of gravity decreases, and at the peak of its trajectory, it momentarily stops before falling back down to the ground.