1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A ball is thrown upwards . .

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Standing on the ground, you throw a baseball straight upward, releasing the ball at a height of 2.00 meters. The ball travels straight up and then falls(ignoring air resistance). If the ball was in the air for a total of 3.92s, find the maximum height the ball reaches and the speed at which it was thrown.

2. Relevant equations
    Vf=Vi+at
    (Vf^2)-(Vi^2)=2ax
    x=(Vi*t)+(1/2)(a)(t^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I divided my diagram into 3 velocities:
    velocity initial (Vo):when the ball was released at 2.00 meters
    velocity 2 (V2): velocity at the top of "bell" which is zero
    and the velocity once it hit the ground (Vf)
    Vi=? V2=0 m/s Vf=? i assume Vf is not important

I am treating time as a net total (3.92) and therefore tnet=3.92=t1+t2
    t1: being the time it take for the ball to reach v2
    t2: being the time it takes for the ball to go from v2(top of the bell with 0m/s) to the ground

*I treated x the same. Xnet=?=x1+x2
    xi:the distance the projectile traveled until velocity became zero. I am assuming x1=2+?
    x2: the distance the projectile traveled before reaching x=0 meters

I played around so much with the equations (substituting equations into each other) that I kept getting 2*G as the acceleration. I know thats not right because the ball was thrown upwards and therefore the velocity must be positive.

The answer ended up being:

the ball reached 19.8m high
    and 18.7 m/s as the initial velocity.
    I've never had a problem like this that hasn't included an initial velocity.
    o_O

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've got the right equations; try your third one to solve for Vi (what is x and what is a and what is t?). Then use your 2nd equation to solve for h.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook