1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ball kicked from a cliff

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    From the edge of a cli of height 20 m a (heavy) ball is kicked. Neglect air resistance. The
    horizontal speed is 10 m/s (directed away from the cli ). The vertical velocity is chosen
    such that the ball lands on the ground below the cliff after
    3 s.

First describe how you choose your coordinate system (frame of reference): origin and di-
    rections of axes used; and state the equations you apply to answer the questions below.

determine
    (i) the initial vertical velocity,
    (ii) the velocity and the speed of the ball just before it hits the ground,
    (iii) the angle  (relative to the horizontal) when it was kicked o ,
    (iv) the horizontal distance between the cli and the point where the ball landed,
    (v) the distance between the starting point on top of the cli and the landing point.

I solved the questions from i-iv , but i need help how can I do the v question is it by using Pythagoras theorem ? or ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2
    Since they are seeking the distance from point A to point B, I would use Pythagorean Theorem.

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3
    thanks for ur answer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook