Tracking the Third Piece of an Exploding Ball

In summary, at a certain instant, a ball of mass m at the coordinate origin exploded into three equal pieces. One piece is located at x=40cm, another at x=20cm, y=-60cm, and the third piece can be found at x=-60cm and y=60cm. This is solved using conservation of momentum and the fact that the centre of mass of the three fragments cannot change position as there are no external forces acting. The answer was found by calculating the total momentum of the two known pieces and using it to solve for the momentum of the third unknown piece.
Student91
A ball of mass m at rest at the coordinate origin exploded into three equal pieces.
At a certain instant, one piece is on the x-axis at x=40cm, and another is at x=20cm, y=-60cm. where is the third piece at that instant

I don't have an idea how to solve it I tried many time but I don't reach an answer.

I have to use Fex=Mac.m

Physics news on Phys.org

It is solved using conservation of momentum; or centre of mass considerations. (It amounts to the same thing)
As there are no external forces acting, the centre of mass of the combined 3 fragments cannot have changed position, and must still be at the centre of the coordinate system.
Alternatively, if you let the time interval = t, you can write down the x and y coordinates of the momentum of the 2 known fragments. (You have the distance traveled in that time from the coordinates. Velocity = distance/time)
The total momentum of those two plus the unknown fragment must equal zero.

I don't see how you can use F=ma here.

My Physics teacher told me it solved by F=ma ..

Sorry to hear that.

Momentum conservation it is.

Is the answer going to be -60i+60j ?

What do i and j represent here? Are they unit cm vectors in the x and y directions?
You would normally give the answer as x=-60cm and y=+60cm
How have you calculated those values. You would need to show some working, not a guess.

My Work :

By Conservation of Momentum :

Pi = Pf
0= mv1 + mv2 + mv3

Devid By 3m ..

= v1 + v2 + v3
= d1/3t + d2/3t + d3/3t

Devide By 3t ..

d3 = -( d1 + d2 )

d3 = -( 40i + 20i - 60j )

d3 = -40i - 20i + 60j

d3 = -60i + 60j

So x= -60
and y = 60

Up !

Yes those answers are correct. (In centimeters)

1. What is the third piece of an exploding ball?

The third piece of an exploding ball refers to the final, smallest fragment that separates from the original ball during an explosion.

2. Why is it important to track the third piece of an exploding ball?

Tracking the third piece of an exploding ball can provide valuable information about the explosion, such as the force and direction of the explosion. It can also help in identifying the source of the explosion.

3. How do scientists track the third piece of an exploding ball?

Scientists can track the third piece of an exploding ball using high-speed cameras, sensors, and other specialized equipment. They can also use computer simulations and mathematical models to analyze the trajectory of the fragment.

4. What can the tracking of the third piece of an exploding ball tell us about the explosion?

By tracking the third piece of an exploding ball, scientists can determine the speed, direction, and force of the explosion. This information can give insights into the type of explosion and its potential impact.

5. How can the tracking of the third piece of an exploding ball be applied in real life?

The tracking of the third piece of an exploding ball can be applied in various fields, such as forensics, military, and engineering. It can help in understanding explosions, improving safety measures, and designing more effective explosives.