1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ball of mass m at rest at the coordinate origin exploded into three equal pieces?

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    A ball of mass m at rest at the coordinate origin exploded into three equal pieces.
    At a certain instant, one piece is on the x-axis at x=40cm, and another is at x=20cm, y=-60cm. where is the third piece at that instant

I don't have an idea how to solve it I tried many time but I don't reach an answer.

I have to use Fex=Mac.m

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2010 #2
    Re: A ball of mass m at rest at the coordinate origin exploded into three equal piece

It is solved using conservation of momentum; or centre of mass considerations. (It amounts to the same thing)
    As there are no external forces acting, the centre of mass of the combined 3 fragments cannot have changed position, and must still be at the centre of the coordinate system.
    Alternatively, if you let the time interval = t, you can write down the x and y coordinates of the momentum of the 2 known fragments. (You have the distance travelled in that time from the coordinates. Velocity = distance/time)
    The total momentum of those two plus the unknown fragment must equal zero.

I don't see how you can use F=ma here.

4. Apr 8, 2010 #3
    Re: A ball of mass m at rest at the coordinate origin exploded into three equal piece

My Physics teacher told me it solved by F=ma ..

5. Apr 8, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Sorry to hear that.

Momentum conservation it is.

6. Apr 8, 2010 #5

Is the answer going to be -60i+60j ?

7. Apr 8, 2010 #6

What do i and j represent here? Are they unit cm vectors in the x and y directions?
    You would normally give the answer as x=-60cm and y=+60cm
    How have you calculated those values. You would need to show some working, not a guess.

8. Apr 8, 2010 #7

My Work :

By Conservation of Momentum :

Pi = Pf
    0= mv1 + mv2 + mv3

Devid By 3m ..

= v1 + v2 + v3
    = d1/3t + d2/3t + d3/3t

Devide By 3t ..

d3 = -( d1 + d2 )

d3 = -( 40i + 20i - 60j )

d3 = -40i - 20i + 60j

d3 = -60i + 60j

So x= -60
    and y = 60

9. Apr 9, 2010 #8

Up !

10. Apr 9, 2010 #9

Yes those answers are correct. (In centimeters)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook