1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ball rolling HELP PL0XZ

1. Apr 21, 2009 #1
    FORCES On a bridge

A bridge, constructed of 11 beams of equal length L
    and negligible mass, supports an object of mass M

as shown. (Intro 1 figure) Real bridges of this sort have steel rockers at the ends (check one out sometime), these assure that the support forces on the bridge are vertical even when it expands or contracts thermally.

Throughout this problem, use g for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity.

MFS_st_1_a.jpg

Find FP , the vertical force that pier P exerts on the left end of the bridge.

My attempt:
    I know the mass exerts a clockwise torque on the left end
    and that their is also the force of the whole bridge on the bridge due to gravity

so Fp = Torqueduetomass + the whole weight force /2 (because it's halved? due to theother end of the bridge helping out)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks like you dropped a factor of 2.

4. Apr 21, 2009 #3

wait can you please explain?

(mv^2 + 2mv^2/3) /2 is correct?

5. Apr 21, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Yes, that is correct. (Don't lose that 2 in the denominator.)

6. Apr 21, 2009 #5
    thanks, i've changed the question now this is one i've had ages to do but keep getting it wrong

7. Apr 21, 2009 #6

Doc Al

Don't go back and change the question. That turns the thread into gibberish.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook