1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ball rolling on a bowl

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1
    Ok, I've given this question already soooooo much time and I simply cannot solve it.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There's a circular surface that's holding still (like a bowl), with radius R, and a ball, with radius r, on it.
    The ball is rolling without sliding.
    The mass of the ball and it's moment of intertia are given.
    1. First question - express the relation between W, which is the angular velocity of the ball, and "d(theta)/dt", where "theta" is the angle formed in any time between the "main axis of the bowl" and the radius streaching to the ball.
    2. Second question - find the relation between W and theta(not theta dot as before), given that the ball starts it's movement at hight "h" above the surface.
    3. Third and last - given that the ball is oscillating in small values of theta, what is the period time of the harmonic movement? (they give a hint: differentiate (with t) the function we found in the last questions - W(theta), find a "movement equation", and compare it to the "harmonic oscillation" classic equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. I Think I did that - w(t)* r = (theta dot) * R.
    2.Ok, here I used mechanical energy cons. and after some effort found a pretty complex relation between W and theta. I won't specify it here but it has square root and all :)
    3. Here's the real trouble:
    From their hint I think I need to find d(W(t))/dt ? So I can do that using the "chain law" (I'm not sure if that's the name) and take the derivitive of t like this:
    d(W(t))/dt = d(W(theta))/d(theta) * d(theta)/d(t)
    After doing that, using the relations I got in the previous questions, I get a non-linear, second-order diffrential equation. Not solvable of course.

The excercise is a pretty classic one, just a plate with a ball rolling on it - but I still find it very complicated! Maybe I'm over-complicating things?

I'm desprate for help :-\

Thank you very much for reading.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Since they are referring to small [tex]\theta[/tex], approximate [tex]sin\theta\approx\theta[/tex] and [tex]cos\theta\approx1[/tex].

Then you get a linear diff. equation. It should the equation for a simple harmonic oscillator.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  4. Sep 2, 2007 #3
    I know that. I've tried that. Still not a linear diff. equation.

If I must, I'll post my calculations...
    However, it's so hard to write them in here...

Thanks anyway.
  5. Sep 2, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

I'm getting a linear differential equation... there's a major cancellation (simplification) that happens when you substitute in [tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] into your equation for [tex]\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}[/tex]

You can get [tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] in terms of [tex]\theta[/tex] using your 2 equations for [tex]\omega[/tex]... the one you get in the first part, and the one you get in the conservation of energy part.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?