1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ball rolling up a parabolic ramp

1. May 12, 2016 #1
    1. Assume there is gravity and no external force acting on the system. A ball has an initial velocity of 5 m/s and climbs up a parabolic ramp, which is defined by y=(x^2)/3. If the ball rolls exactly along the path of ramp and energy of the ball is conserved, starting from (0,0), calculate the time taken for the ball to climb to a height of y=1.

2. Ek+Ep=Einit, Vy=||v||sin(arctan(dy/dx))

3. I made a differential equations using the formula above but the differential I got is only numerical integratable (results given by wolfram alpha). I'm looking for an easier way to solve this problem. So, guys, please help! Thanks!

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What did you need the trig for?
    Did you start with ##\frac{1}{2}m(\dot x^2+\dot y^2) + mgy = \frac{1}{2}mu^2 : u=5,\; y=\frac{1}{3}x^2## ?

4. May 12, 2016 #3
    That seems pretty helpful! I haven't learnt to use and x and y things because I'm a highschool student, but I've done stage 1 college maths so I think I can cope with that. I'll give it a try! Thank you!

5. May 12, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is this a problem set for high school?

6. May 12, 2016 #5
    Well. It's not, I made this question up. It'd be nice if you can solve it using highschool knowledge only though.

7. May 12, 2016 #6
    I'm stuck again...

8. May 12, 2016 #7
    I might got it.. trying now

9. May 12, 2016 #8
    I'm trying now, but still, can you show me how you would do it please?

Guess what. I used the formula you gave me and that ends up the same differential equation I got last time using trig, which I need to use a computer to calculate it. Can you help me?

10. May 12, 2016 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please answer the question?

11. May 12, 2016 #10
    I answered above. Basically this is some extracurricular work.

12. May 12, 2016 #11

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sorry - misread.

13. May 12, 2016 #12
    It's ok. So, right now I used your formula, and it ended up exactly the same as last time I did it using trig.
    I got dt/dy=0.5sqrt((3+4y)/(25y-2gy^2)) dy, which even wolfram alpha couldn't give an exact solution.
    I believe there is a better way to do this. Can you show me please?

14. May 12, 2016 #13

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... this is a specific case of an object sliding inside a parabolic bowl.
    If you google for that, you'll get a bunch of examples. i.e. See attachment below.

Note: ##\dot x = v(x)## is where you get stuck.
    You can do $$T = \int_0^{\sqrt 3} \frac{dx}{v}$$ ... i.e. what you were doing but as a definite integral.
    The indefinite integral involves elliptical functions.

It is not unusual for quite simple-seeming setups to be very difficult to solve - or even have no analytic solutions at all.
    ie. Try working out the exact equation of motion for a simple pendulum - or a puck sliding in a spherical bowl.

Attached Files:

15. May 12, 2016 #14
    Thank you! No problem. I need to sleep as well. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted