1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ball shot at an angle

1. Oct 27, 2004 #1
    If a ball is shot out at 5.4m/s and makes an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal, the x component would be 5.4cos30 and the y component would be 5.4sin30 correct?

The question then asks me to write an expression for the ball’s velocity, v, using unit vectors for the x-direction and the y-direction. Wouldn’t the velocity be just 5.4m/s? I don’t understand wht they are asking.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2004 #2
    Unit vectors are a simple way of describing a 3d (or 2d) vector. Basically, you put everything that describes the x-direction together and put 'ex' with a vector sign over it behind it. Do thesame for the y-direction.
    In this case: the x-component of the speed is just 5.4cos(30), so that part of the vector is (5.4cos(30))*ex (actually make that x subscript and add an arrow above the e)

The y-component is thesame thing, only with 5.4sin(30) and ey. In case they ask you to do the expression for t, you'll have to add acceleration like this:
    V = (5.4cos(30))*ex + (5.4sin(30) + ..acceleration*t..)*ey
    This describes the vector.
  4. Oct 27, 2004 #3
    What if the question wanted me to sketch the vector and find the magnitude and direction of motion with respects to the x-axis?
  5. Nov 2, 2004 #4
    Sorry for the late reply:
    Just sketch an arrow making 30 degrees with the horizontal. Then project the vector onto the x-axis and that's your x-component. It's that easy.
    Magnitude of the vector in the x-direction is as you described, 5.4cos30. The direction of motion with respect to the x-axis will be 30 degrees.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?