What is the angular speed of a ball sliding on a rotating ring at a given angle?

In summary, a thin ring of mass M and radius R, with a small ball of mass m sliding on it without constraint or friction, has an angular speed of \omega_0 at the top. By applying conservation of angular momentum, we can determine that the angular speed when the ball is at \theta=\pi/4 is given by w2= M/(M+m) w1, where w1 is the initial angular speed. This assumes no net external torque on the system.
valandil

Homework Statement

A thin ring of mass M and radius R rotates around its vertical axis. A small ball of mass m can slide, without constraint nor friction, on the ring. If the angular speed of the ring when the ball is at the top is [\tex]\omega_0[\tex], what is the angular speed when the ball is at [tex]\theta=\pi/4[/tex].
th_probleme.png

Homework Equations

This is what I can't find. The problem seems easy enough, provided the right path of solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried working with the angular momentum conservation law. That gives:

[tex] L = I\omega[/tex]
where
[tex]I= MR^2[/tex]

The contribution of the ball to the inertia is null, because it is on the axis of rotation at that instant. Hence, we have

[tex] \omega_0 = \frac{L}{MR^2}[/tex]

However, if we include a dependence on [tex]\theta[/tex], we obtain

[tex] L = (I_{ring} + I_{ball})\omega [/tex]
[tex] L = (MR^2 + mR^2\sin^2\theta)\omega[/tex]

Now, that seems bad to me, because (1) it's a bad application of the parallel axes theorem because I can't write the inertia of the ball relative to the center of mass since I do not have its radius and (2) it does give an answer as a fraction of the initial angular speed.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since there is no net external torque on the system, angular momentum is conserved
apply conservation of angular momentum.
initially L= {(MR^2)/2}w1 (applying perpendicular axis theorem)
finally, L = {MR^2 + mR^2sin^2(theta)}w2
substitute theta=45
and you get w2= M/(M+m) w1

Thank you. I just arrived at the same solution.

1. What is the concept of a ball sliding on a ring?

The concept of a ball sliding on a ring is a basic physics problem that involves the motion of a ball on a circular track or ring. The ball moves along the ring due to the forces acting on it, such as gravity and friction.

2. What factors affect the motion of a ball sliding on a ring?

The motion of a ball sliding on a ring is affected by several factors, including the mass and size of the ball, the radius of the ring, the surface of the ring, and the initial velocity of the ball. Other factors such as air resistance and external forces may also play a role.

3. What is the relationship between the radius of the ring and the speed of the ball?

The speed of the ball sliding on a ring is directly proportional to the radius of the ring. This means that as the radius of the ring increases, the speed of the ball also increases. This relationship is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

4. How does friction affect the motion of a ball sliding on a ring?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object. In the case of a ball sliding on a ring, friction between the ball and the ring can slow down the ball's motion and cause it to eventually come to a stop. The amount of friction depends on the surface of the ring and the material of the ball.

5. What are some real-world applications of a ball sliding on a ring?

The concept of a ball sliding on a ring has many real-world applications, such as in amusement park rides, pendulum clocks, and certain types of machinery. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding the motion of objects in circular orbits, such as planets around the sun.