1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ball sliding on a ring

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thin ring of mass M and radius R rotates around its vertical axis. A small ball of mass m can slide, without constraint nor friction, on the ring. If the angular speed of the ring when the ball is at the top is [\tex]\omega_0[\tex], what is the angular speed when the ball is at [tex]\theta=\pi/4[/tex].
    th_probleme.png

2. Relevant equations
    This is what I can't find. The problem seems easy enough, provided the right path of solution.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried working with the angular momentum conservation law. That gives:

[tex] L = I\omega[/tex]
    where
    [tex]I= MR^2[/tex]

The contribution of the ball to the inertia is null, because it is on the axis of rotation at that instant. Hence, we have

[tex] \omega_0 = \frac{L}{MR^2}[/tex]

However, if we include a dependance on [tex]\theta[/tex], we obtain

[tex] L = (I_{ring} + I_{ball})\omega [/tex]
    [tex] L = (MR^2 + mR^2\sin^2\theta)\omega[/tex]

Now, that seems bad to me, because (1) it's a bad application of the parallel axes theorem because I can't write the inertia of the ball relative to the center of mass since I do not have its radius and (2) it does give an answer as a fraction of the initial angular speed.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2
    Since there is no net external torque on the system, angular momentum is conserved
    apply conservation of angular momentum.
    initially L= {(MR^2)/2}w1 (applying perpendicular axis theorem)
    finally, L = {MR^2 + mR^2sin^2(theta)}w2
    substitute theta=45
    and you get w2= M/(M+m) w1

4. Sep 13, 2010 #3
    Thank you. I just arrived at the same solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook