1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I A ball struck by a cue in billiards with English goes straight at first...

1. Apr 2, 2017 #201

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that "lowest friction tips on the market" doesn't mean "no friction". If friction was irrelevant to ball direction, it should work even when the low friction is tip lubricated.

2. Apr 3, 2017 #202

DWT

We will not be able to put anything more than a tip of english for sure bu

3. Apr 3, 2017 #203

DWT

Above are links to videos showing results of the experiment.
    Made a tip out of a cue ball, was not able to put anymore than a tip of english on the ball or i would miscue.
    Was not able to get spin on the ball due to lack of friction but the angle of travel was really consistent.

4. Apr 3, 2017 #204
    Did you make the tip from a cue ball?? So cool!
    It's hard to tell, but it looks like the ball goes to the normal direction rather than parallel to the cue direction... What do you think?

I have a break cue with a phenolic tip, so I could also try some experiments when I have a chance. Though I am not sure if the phenolic tip is the same material as the cue ball (probably different, right?)...

5. Apr 3, 2017 #205

DWT

Yep heres the cue ball i used.

The ball is splitting the angle from the natural to parrallel to the cue very consistently.

Phenolic tip i think is a little softer than the stone balls but i do not have anything to test that.

Attached Files:

6. Apr 3, 2017 #206

DWT

I have a better way to test this which will remove any potential human error.

I am going to take a ball and core it out to reduce its mass, we will see what happens when the object ball is struck by a ball identical in every way except its weight. This may take me a day or so i will post video of results asap.

7. Apr 3, 2017 #207
    Wow. I don't know how you can core it out, but it's gonna be great to see if you are right and the ball goes straight when hit by the light ball!

Just some quick comments:
    In your last video, the impact point was a bit unclear, but it seems that the ball did not go parallel to the cue direction. So, I believe that friction is indeed the key factor. Also, your cue stroke seemed to go off a bit to the side after impact (I believe it is to avoid miscue) and that may also affect the ball direction. I was wondering if we can stop the cue stroke at the contact point, which might make our interpretation easier. Maybe I can try that when I have time.

8. Apr 3, 2017 #208

DWT

I think we may find out that it is a combination of friction and mass. After I use the cored out ball i can put some chalked felt or maybe leather at impact point. That should give same results as hitting with chalked cue tip.

9. Apr 3, 2017 #209
    That's a great idea!

By the way, I just found this .pdf where a guy from Argonne National Laboratory explained the cue ball direction with friction as I did (plz see p.19).
    ftp://ftp.tcg.anl.gov/pub/shepard/pool/old_versions/physics.PDF
    But, a model is just a model. Nobody has done your experiment. It's exciting to see what happens.

10. Apr 3, 2017 #210
    Maybe you can apply chalk between the balls if felt or leather does not work well.

11. Apr 4, 2017 #211

DWT

New thought just occurred to me the circumference of the cue tips are generally the same as either a dime or nickle. When i used the cue ball tip it has the same circumference as the balls.
    If I lined the center of the cue ball to the contact point the ball would not hit the contact point it would hit inside the contact point closer to the center of the ball sending it on a similar path as to what we observed in the above videos.

I am going to redo the tip test using a glass marble it will be more accurate to the actual shape of a normal tip.

poolplayer thanks for the link after that I am fairly sure that the mass of the ball should not effect the angle but I will do the experiment anyway.

Got to love this game its a 4-dimensional game played with 3-dimensional objects on a 2-dimensional surface and in its simplest form your just trying to pick the right 1-dimensional line to hit the ball.

12. Apr 4, 2017 #212

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would also suggest some lubricant to make friction as low as possible,

The tip size might also affect friction, even for the same material coupling. The assumption of a constant friction coefficient, regardless of pressure, is just an approximation.

13. Nov 28, 2017 #213
    The 6 corners (or vertices) of a regular octohedron are equally spaced on a sphere. The measle ball dots must be the vertices of a regular octohedron. Here are some links on the geometry:
    https://study.com/academy/lesson/octahedron-definition-properties.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octahedron
    http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/courses/m308/projects/cchang/webpages/octahedron.html
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RegularOctahedron.html

Good luck!

14. Nov 28, 2017 #214
    Thanks! So from another thread - basically make a box that the cue ball will sit inside and drill a hole in the middle of each side.

15. Nov 28, 2017 #215
    That sounds like a really easy way to do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted