• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

A baseball is thrown directly upward and hits the ground several hundred feet away.

Are there any points along its path at which the velocity and acceleration vectors are perpendicular? Parallel? Also, if a ball is thrown directly upward, wouldn't it fall directly back down?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Was it thrown by a spin bowler? Are there strong winds? Could the throw have taken it to the top of a cliff several hundred feet above the thrower? Must this have occurred on any particular planet? Did the ball encounter something solid in its path, and bounce off it?

Nope, the question did not specify strong winds, or other planetary properties. I'm going to assume that it wasn't thrown directly upward and that it was thrown at an angle.

Therefore, with the assumption that I made, correct me if I am wrong, the resultant velocity only allows the vector to be perpendicular at the top of the trajectory and never parallel at any point in time and space.